Shooting heavy recoiling rifle from bench-beginner here

Ftothfadd

so I have 338 win mag, unbreaked sako 85 which kicks rather stoutly when shot from bipods off a bench. So much so, that just by changing the loading of the bipod creates a 2 MOA vertical difference in impact. I use the weak hand to adjust the bag under the buttstock while getting anooyed by 3 inch high groups. Suppressor or muzzlebreak is not an option. How could I enhace my accuracy? Perhaps put the weak hand on the forend To prevent the gun jumping 10 inchrs up each time it is fired.
I am a beginner and would welcome any technical advice.
Thank you!

On heavy recoiling rifle, I take a hold on forearm and more shoulder pressure. I do this even with a brake installed. Free recoil will throw fliers on heavy hitters, in my experience.

I would suggest ditching the bipod, at least while you are at the bench. Even a backpack stuffed with clothes can be easier to group with. Bag of soil or bag of sand is better - can be messy though.

Try sitting as low as possible, especially if the seats are adjustable. Leaning into a magnum hurts more than sitting upright and letting it moooove you.

Here is some suggested reading;

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

Also, shoot it how you will in the field if you can. If you will be shooting off the bipod prone, then get down in the dirt and shoot it like that. Try to find consistency, either forend hold or rear bag hold. if you have to load your bipod the same each time, then practice doing that consistently. If you will most likely be shooting off hand, or resting on a tree or a bag....ditch the bipod and shoot that way. The best thing you can do in your circumstance is practice how you will hunt.

Light heavy recoiling rifles are never easy to shoot well, and take more practice than light recoiling rifles.

Make some sand bags up, what weight bullet ya shooting? Lighter bullets kik less , ditch the B pod on bench , took me a while , there's a learning curve with any 338/mag,maybe change your recoil pad ,use a recoil shield between your shoulder n rifles recoil pad . Recoil is fatiguing ,affects ,groups, and body stamina , I pull dwn front forend & pull back stronger with my 338 kinda manhandle it .

so I have 338 win mag, unbreaked sako 85 which kicks rather stoutly when shot from bipods off a bench. So much so, that just by changing the loading of the bipod creates a 2 MOA vertical difference in impact. I use the weak hand to adjust the bag under the buttstock while getting anooyed by 3 inch high groups. Suppressor or muzzlebreak is not an option. How could I enhace my accuracy? Perhaps put the weak hand on the forend To prevent the gun jumping 10 inchrs up each time it is fired.
Thank you!
This sounds completely counter intuitive but quit fighting it.

Relax your body to the point it just becomes a load spring and shock absorber. Don't let it fly free or you're going to bleed and get a headache, but instead of tensing up to fight the recoil just relax and take it.

This works exceptionally well for me from all field positions other than prone and I've even learned to make it work well in the prone after a good deal of practice.

I will dig in with my feet and stiffen up to my waste but then allow my upper body to relax and flex to absorb it.

Even with my Rum's and .375's this method works very well for me, but it did take a great deal of practice and getting used to after spending a lifetime being trained to man up, lean into it, and fight it.

Thank you.
So, just to be clear, I am more or less ok taking the punishing in the form of recoil. My problem is the poor accuracy. I do understand though that the two are usually interlaced...

Thank you!

When I started with my rum I could not get a good group. I shot my other rifles well but the rum would not group. I have friends that shoot well. They phone videod me. Then they shot the gun to see if it was me. It was the gun. I had it rebarreled and I am happy.

Last edited:
I had a 300 RUM that shot pretty good but I traded it because it just kicked too hard!
Living in Kentucky I really didn't need such a rifle...
The new barrel has a break.
Hunt in PA. Got older and slower so now I wait till people leave and hunt the gas and power lines on the lease and at the farms. I use my 7rm for the first few days. The second week I also hunt gut piles for coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.