Shooting from tripod with gun saddle

I shoot from a tripod with a pig saddle frequently in the summer. 500 yards and in is absolutely no problem. Heck, I use mine to 1,000 yards and get hits.

I went the cheap route and got a Feisol 50D ball head to mount the pig saddle, and it's not as solid as I'd like. I've moved to direct mounting the saddle to my tripod, and it is substantially more stable.

I have a Feisol CF tripod with an Really Right Stuff ball head. I think the ball head is rated to 55#. I use direct clip not a HOG saddle. I still get some movement. The wobble zone is about 1.5 MOA standing, and under 1 MOA kneeling. If I would buy something new, I would get a leveling head rather than a ball head for more stability. The trade off is you have to use the leg adjustment more to get the shot level. when I take my son to practice, he had no problems hitting a 500yd 2 MOA plate. I use it more for PRS and use the leg as a rear brace and to hold my spotting scope.

I bought a Bog Pod Death Grip this season mostly to use in Africa next May but tried it out this season on an Antelope hunt. Worked Fantastic. Shooting a Fierce Fury in 6.5 x 284 with Nightforce scope. Rifle Weighs in at about 9 lbs. Shot the first Antelope at 547 yards and the second at 410 yards. I was able to see both impacts with no problems. The head leaves a little to be desired but it worked for me without issue so I am not complaining.

If you can come up with the coin, the Really Right Stuff set up works great for me. I have the T23 tripod with their new ballhead. I use the Hog Saddle for my rifles that don't have a plate or rail. From sitting, it closely approximates prone accuracy for me if the rifle is reasonably balanced in the support. I can't spot my shots with 300WM or .308 though as recoil pulls me off target. The set up w/o the saddle is just over 4lbs and the saddle adds another pound. Not cheap but good kit and not so heavy I can't take it in the pack.

https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TFCT-24L

I though about getting the bogpod deathgrip to try and an internet search led me to want to try this night stalker brand it's about $100 more than the bogpod, I have Caldwell field pods both the chair with built in rest and portable one, also have primos tripod trigger stick. I like the idea of a gun saddle to take weight of the gun off plus its hands free and still ready to shoot.
I have the death grip. And I love it.

I use it with a .300 mag and am able to scope my own hits at any distance that would require it. It's a bit heavy, but I think it's worth the weight. I carried it in Colorado on an elk hunt. Threw the binocs in it for glassing long distance and when I was set up watching the meadow at first light the rifle was strapped in with the range finder and ear plugs hanging within easy reach.

Attachments

• E6D0DF50-869A-42F3-A405-36D26B94140A.jpeg
    E6D0DF50-869A-42F3-A405-36D26B94140A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 649
I use the bog death grip it holds my 15 pound rifle with ease it's also stable I've practiced using rope to make it more stable as well as walking sticks for the longer shots around 800 yards over all that bog death grip is awesome for its price point

I have the pig saddle, GNN FB-52 Ball Head and the Pig field shooting tripod. If I could do it over I'd have gone with the Reaper and keep my tripod. Saw at a show the reaper and was really impressed with the ease of adjustment.

How stable can you really get, can you watch for shot placement or does it move to much, can you get multi shots off without adjusting tripod placement? I'm looking at night stalker brand to get into trying one at a reasonable price point

I would get the RRS SOAR. I have a Manfrotto with a 57 ball head and HOG saddle. It is not a near as stable and quick to deploy as my RRS SOAR.

I use it all the time out to 1000 yards plus. Adds some excitement to long range shooting. It has helped a lot with hunting. On the SOAR I use the ARCA mounts and picatinny rails. Super fast to switch from spotting scope to gun..

I use a pillow for rear support. 12x7 rectangular pillow and shoot to 500 on it. Hog Saddle/Ball head/ and the Hog Saddle Tripod. Its a heavy setup but it gets the job done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.