Shooting FAQ

cronhelm

This board should have a Shooting FAQ where all this good advice could be stored for future reference. I'd leave the material up to the owners to decide.

There is a huge amount of really good information on this forumn but as time passes, it is "lost" as new subjects some up.

Darryl, Len, Warren, Dave et al are founts of information for those of us just starting out or learning the skills.

Information on techniques, equipment and the terminal performance of MK's would be useful to newbies, or people wanting to know if this sport was for them. It would also help to convince some non-believers.

I have a couple of friends who are mildly interested but cautious because of all the negative information in the regular forumns. As a newby myself, I just do not have the answers needed to change their minds.

What do you say guys?

Peter Cronhelm

Hello Pete

The problem with most hunters who have never given longrange a try is---They will NEVER believe it can be done until they sit down behind a large set of Bigeyes and see it happen. Never.

We have been trying to convince and inform people how to do it for 25 years and still you always run into those who balk at it.
It's the same type that voices an opinion without ever trying it. Those are the ones that should keep their mouth shut and just listen instead of "putting their mouth in gear before engaging Brain".
These are the prople we just walk away from.

I'm so thankfull that I was asked to participate on this forum. People here want to learn and know they must not interject ANY negitiveness as to our "Sport" and they understand this from the start. Thanks to the rules set down from the start by Len.

This is the "Longrange Hunting" forum and it's for Longrange hunters and shooters who want to share their accomplisments without some 3 to 5 day a year conventional hunter calling you names. It takes a VERY shallow and uninformed person to do this.

The forum is loaded with information already and somewhere in the Posts already on file, most information pertaining to many aspects of LR hunting, can be found.

We will continue to build that informational base as much as we can.

Later and Happy New Year to all
Darryl Cassel

Peter

Interesting proposal. Meanwhile, I'd like to point out the existance of the search capabilities on the forum.

As an example I just searched for "matchking" on the Long Range Hunting Forum (remember there are a total of 9 "subforums). Anyway, I came up with 12 threads containing the word "matchking".

What I was really thinking of is a list of basic topics or information that have been discussed on this forumn.

The list would not include every topic, only those pertaining directly to equipment and techniques employed by long-range hunters.

The search function of the list is a good idea but sometimes it is a bit of a toss-up to know what to search for.

For example, I was thinking of the description by Darryl (I think) of the terminal effects of the 300gr .338 MK on elk at very long range. This was a very informative post but I wouldn't know where to look for it now.

I suppose, what I am trying to get at is that we should have a manual for long-range hunters, compiled from information posted to this forumn.

Really someone should write a book about this subject because I envision an explosion in interest in this sport, much like the one we have seen happening in varmint hunting in the past few years.

I have two friends who are showing an open mind towards long-range hunting, however they have misgivings based on the sort of garbage information we hear from the shooting general public. As a newby myself, I don't have all the answers.

Peter Cronhelm

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.