Shooting BETTER AT LONG RANGE

S1

You asked;
How many groups does a guy have to shoot off a bipod before it is not luck any more?...

Answer;
Depends on the range in yards I would say. The closer the easier. The further you go out, luck does play a small part in the group and bullet impact at the target. I'm a firm believer in that.

It could even be luck that your powder measurer weighed the "EXACT" same each time after a good group was fired. It could be luck that the primers all fired the same foot pounds each time to ignite the powder the SAME. It could be luck that the wind held the same for the shot. It could be luck that the powder laid in each case the same laying in the chamber when you pulled the trigger.
Yhis is what I'm refering to as luck.
Some of these things you or I can't control. Anything we "can't" control before or especially AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel is luck if you have a good group.

Anytime I fire a good 1000 yard group, I always contribute it "in part" to luck.

My usual comment to a decent group that I fire is; "Even a blind dog finds a bone once in awhile".

Later
DC

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

S1,

I didnt know in all the years I have been shooting long range that there was a big controversy about shooting well off a bi-pod on hard surfaces. I have been doing it for years and with awesome results. It all depends on the floating of the barrel, shoulder and cheek preassure. As far as I am concerned, it is the only way I can shoot good groups. Even at the range, with benches, I lay down on the ground, with my back pack under the butt and shoot 1" X's at 300 yards.

Good shooting to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.