Shooting bench trailer

Abolt

I'm looking to build a new shooting bench. I like the current bench I have beside the deer camp but I made it very heavy (4"x4"X1/4" steel frame filled with sand) and have to use the tractor to move it. Where it is now I can only shoot 100 yds so it's good for checking zero or new loads but that's about it. About 1/2 mile away we have a pipe line that is straight for about 2000 yds. I'm only looking to shoot more in the 500-800 yard range though

All that said, has anyone here made a shooting bench on wheels that can be pulled with a truck or ATV then unhooked and shot from? Something similar to this? This is just a picture I found on Google, looking for ideas on one to build. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 42
Been there; done that. I like the simplicity of the model in your photo. But there are a couple of things I'd change.
1. Add an a spare tire.
2. Get rid of that flimsy tongue support and carry a tripod support so the trailer rests more securely in place once you've got it unhitched and ready to set up.
You've already addressed the "unhooked" issue but I'd like to expand on that just a little. In many states it's unlawful to shoot from a vehicle. It's not uncommon for a game warden to cite hunters who shoot from a trailer attached to a vehicle - theory is that if it's attached to a vehicle it's a part of the vehicle. Whether or not you agree with that assessment, the ticket costs the same. :)

Mine isn't on wheels, but it's extremely portable. I got the leg brackets from a guy over on Accurateshooter.com. He included a template to cut the bench top as well I cut mine out of a slab of butcher block and then glued a yoga mat to the top to give a little more cushion when shooting the pistols. The legs are just 1.5" electrical conduit.

I can set it up and take it down in less than 2 minutes and it's extremely stable. The angle on the legs is just about perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.