shooting a running deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke75

Hi,

I am new to Long Range Hunting and this is my first post.
My question:
Does anyone have experience with success in shooting running deer ?
I have heard many different ways to shoot a running deer, the problem is
they all conflict with one another.

The last thing I want to do is wound a deer, so I have restrained from
shooting running deer.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,
duke

If you cannot practice the scenario, dont do it when you hunt. If you have a range with fast movers, and you can put them on a killzone sized target every time, your good to go. Most cant do that. Most that say that they can, cant.
If you have more than a 4 power scope on the bottom end, toss the idea out.

I use scopes that have a low bottom end magnifacation. I practice "swinging" on a stationary target with a rimfire in the off season, as well as instict shooting. I very rarely do it, and when I do its very close, a follow up shot, anchoring shot (ie, moose running into a swamp), or running straight at me. The biggest thing is to be 100% sure that the shot is going to be a kill shot and its safe.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's best to not take the shot, but to practice for when its needed.

Since this is a Long range forum, I will say that there is no reason to shoot at game on the run at long range. There are enough variables with long range hunting, adding lead time and target velocity/direction is just to much to handle.

angus-5024,

Thank you for your input.

The main reason I posted this subject is, there have been times when I have
encountered nice bucks less then 100 yards while heading for my stand, or
that have been pushed for some reason.

I have an idea of using old tires rolled down a small hill to practice with.
Of course the center is filled in with a piece of card board with a 10"
target.
I can obtain various speeds by simply moving further up the hill, but you do need
a buddy to help. I have not tried this yet due to the weather.
What do you think of the tire idea.?
Thank you,
duke

I would be hesitant with the tire thing, just because I was taught that nobody is to be infront of your muzzle, even if its 50 yards off. I have often tried to think something up using a steel wire and a cable dolly, but for the amount of work it would be I cant justify it.

If I was you i would set up a paper plate or gong at 50 yards on a stick about 2" off the ground. with a rimfire (cheapest), start swinging on to the target and dont stop through the shot. when you can put most of them in the center"ish" of the plate get an old ball (basket ball size) and build a pendulum style target. shoot the swinging ball in the same fashion.
Thinking up these kind of games is the best type of practice that I know of. I still dont recomend shooting game on the run unless you need to. I do understand that not all terrain allows for good set ups and running shots might be your only way to get a good one.

a rimfire and a buch of games like this can really make you an excellent shot.

I have a 100% guaranteed way to NEVER MISS A RUNNING SHOT!!!!!

Don't pull the trigger. Simple isn't it?

Ask yourself a few questions. Why am I always seeing running deer? Why wouldnt I just try to stop them instead of a hail mary wounding shot?

If you are seeing deer running often there is something wrong with your hunting not your shooting. Figure that out first. Then learn to stop them. I use a nasal kinda fawn sound or a whistle or hell a yell if needed. Its better to try to stop them and fail than just start blasting.

That being said the best running practice is a coyote. If not I have seen pulleys rigged to vehicles and other means for movers. MMost g uys who are good wingshots can shoot running. Back in the day I shot a lotta jackrabbits also which I got pretty good at. Luckily the experience required to get good at running shots will teach you they arent worth taking much past 100yds or at unwounded game.

Learn to not be in the situation in the first place and learn to stop them when running. I can stop the majority of deer with some kind of sound just keep yackin till they lock up.

How strongly do I feel about no running shots? Client of mine missed a 5x5 at 90 yds standing. He takes off hauling *** and I yell at the client "dont shoot him running". He does anyway and I knock him out about 2 seconds after the shot. He's lucky I didnt leave him in that crp field for good. He wants to CHASE a gutshot deer in 4 ft tall little blue.(little bluestem is dark red), I tell him uhhh no you are going home and the coyotes will find him for us. He didnt like that. About 2:30 am I hear yotes and by the time I get there sure enough the gutshot deer is scattered over 2 acres and this jackass wants to kill another one. Luckily my business partner peeled me off of the guy and sent him home 3 days early.

In some parts of the US I realize deer drives and such are "traditional". So I wont bash anyone for shooting running game if you grew up doing it. However it is a carryover from a bygone era when deer were nothing more than walking steaks. I didnt even shoot running when I shot control. Any deer will at some point stop running. When he does, kill him. If he does'nt it just wasnt meant to be.

Stopping a runner is much more effective than blasting away. Carry a predator call or grunter or whistle or horn and use it to stop them.

So let me get this right, shooting at a running deer is unethical (which I agree with unless your capable), but punching a client and not even trying to find a wounded deer is?

"I have a 100% guaranteed way to NEVER MISS A RUNNING SHOT!!!!!

Don't pull the trigger. Simple isn't it?

Ask yourself a few questions. Why am I always seeing running deer? Why wouldnt I just try to stop them instead of a hail mary wounding shot?

If you are seeing deer running often there is something wrong with your hunting not your shooting. Figure that out first. Then learn to stop them. I use a nasal kinda fawn sound or a whistle or hell a yell if needed. Its better to try to stop them and fail than just start blasting.

That being said the best running practice is a coyote. If not I have seen pulleys rigged to vehicles and other means for movers. MMost g uys who are good wingshots can shoot running. Back in the day I shot a lotta jackrabbits also which I got pretty good at. Luckily the experience required to get good at running shots will teach you they arent worth taking much past 100yds or at unwounded game."

LET'S SET THIS RECORD STRAIGHT:

First off, I have hunted all my life and lost one nice buck and it still haunts me.

Second. I hunt BUCKS only and I shoot only when I'm sure it is a CLEAN KILL
I NEVER BLAST AWAY.

Third. I don't see many running bucks, but would like to be able to
make a clean kill if i decided to shoot, which I have refrained from doing.

I am a hunter not a killer. I or my companions will not tolerate a killer in or midst
The termination of any animal that can feel pain deserves the greatest respect
nothing less will do.

LAST: I have hunted all over North America and have harvested many trophy
class bucks and I TAKE OFFENSE TO YOU COMMENTS SIR.

duke

My first deer was on a 8point who was running full sprint away, took the shot at about 100 yards. He did a front flip and expired. Right behind the shoulder. Probably more luck than anything. :rolleyes:

AR15 .223 w/ 3X9 Nikon

If I paid to hunt and took a shot at running game animal and my guide punched me, he would get the beating of his life.

I would be hesitant with the tire thing, just because I was taught that nobody is to be infront of your muzzle, even if its 50 yards off. I have often tried to think something up using a steel wire and a cable dolly, but for the amount of work it would be I cant justify it.

If I was you i would set up a paper plate or gong at 50 yards on a stick about 2" off the ground. with a rimfire (cheapest), start swinging on to the target and dont stop through the shot. when you can put most of them in the center"ish" of the plate get an old ball (basket ball size) and build a pendulum style target. shoot the swinging ball in the same fashion.
Thinking up these kind of games is the best type of practice that I know of. I still dont recomend shooting game on the run unless you need to. I do understand that not all terrain allows for good set ups and running shots might be your only way to get a good one.

a rimfire and a buch of games like this can really make you an excellent shot.
Thank you for your advice, However, to set straight the rolling of tires.
The one rolling is to the side of the shooter , further away from danger
of the muzzle then the shooter himself.

duke

It is possible and as long as you are capable of killing the deer, ethical too.
We have lots of driven hunts in Germany every year, it is one of the best ways to kill boars that infested a corn field.
Use a red dot sight or a very low magnification scope, get practice at moving targets, we have moving boar targets at any shooting range for hunters (I will post a video when Im back at my pc, blasted mobile) and limit your shots to reasonable range ~60-70yards.
Don't use a pea shooter either, .308 upwards.

My first deer was on a 8point who was running full sprint away, took the shot at about 100 yards. He did a front flip and expired. Right behind the shoulder. Probably more luck than anything. :rolleyes:

AR15 .223 w/ 3X9 Nikon

If I paid to hunt and took a shot at running game animal and my guide punched me, he would get the beating of his life.

Funny youre from the same state of the dude who got knocked out. I did sucker punch his *** tho. I had already had the no running shots talk with him as I do every client. When you hunt with a guide you dont OWN him. If you do something stupid its no different than if you were just two guys hunting. Take that attitude on your first guided hunt and it wont be any fun. Remember you are hunting with a guy who probably has 2-3 spots picked out to bury you if he had to or tell his brother the sheriff about your hunting accident. Guides arent slaves or your personal tote boys and you are paying them for a reason. EXPERTISE. Dont mess with an expert on his home ground, you might beat your guides *** to suddenly meet his whole family when you are a 1000 miles from home. Have fun with that one.
And no I dont normally punch customers but I was yelling in his ear "DONT SHOOT" then blam, splat and a hunched up deer at 400 running in 4ft tall grass at dark. He got punched.

I'm new here but I'll weigh in. I have done it but it has always been less then 100 yrds. If you do it dont expect them to act the same when hit as when they are stationary. They are already on the move and full of adrenalin. I have had one take three shots in the chest before she stopped running. Unless you break the shoulder or spine them, they will not act as though they are hit. If well hit they will go down in a short distance but expect to do some tracking due to the fact they are already running. They will cover some distance before they leave a blood trail. The best advice I can give you if you do take a running shot is do not stop shooting till it hits the ground or you can not see them.

Funny youre from the same state of the dude who got knocked out. I did sucker punch his *** tho. I had already had the no running shots talk with him as I do every client. When you hunt with a guide you dont OWN him. If you do something stupid its no different than if you were just two guys hunting. Take that attitude on your first guided hunt and it wont be any fun. Remember you are hunting with a guy who probably has 2-3 spots picked out to bury you if he had to or tell his brother the sheriff about your hunting accident. Guides arent slaves or your personal tote boys and you are paying them for a reason. EXPERTISE. Dont mess with an expert on his home ground, you might beat your guides *** to suddenly meet his whole family when you are a 1000 miles from home. Have fun with that one.
And no I dont normally punch customers but I was yelling in his ear "DONT SHOOT" then blam, splat and a hunched up deer at 400 running in 4ft tall grass at dark. He got punched.

Oh Man!! Todd aren't you laying it on a little thick here? Come on, I have never heard of a guide punching a client before. Clients make mistakes and do things wrong. It is expected. A good guide watches for it. The client does it from lack of experience and the adrenaline rush of being in an unfamiliar, exciting situation. They hire a guide because they need help and lack experience. Mistakes are expected. But punching them and now insinuating they could be buried in the field or have to fight the whole family????? Dude you drank too many Monsters today.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Jeff

Todd could you tell me the name of your guide service please I want to make sure I nor any of my associates NEVER book a hunt with you. I am being serious as hell to threaten to bury someone verges on stupidity especially on a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.