Shooting a 223 to a Mile Accurately By Jerry Teo

cdn shooter....

Jerry is an awesome dealer! I bought some Berger bullets from him, and plan on buying a bbl or two, in 2010.

He is also a fountain of knowledge on all things long range!!!

Later.......

appreciate the kind words.

Jerry

If you look at Gun of the week #75 on 6mmBR.com, you will see the rig that I shoot for F class. Paint job and a few parts have since changed but it pretty much looks the same. Will get a new stock this year if I can get some time.

I had a mechanical scope base made to really get the up I needed - approx 150mins of up.

Then it was simply a process of going further in steps to make sure the bullet was behaving. Eventually, I ran out of up at 2400yds.

At this distance, the Scenar was bounced around as badly as the 80gr Amax at 1 mile.

This season, I will be pushing 180gr Berger VLD's out of a 7RM Shilen at over 3000fps and see what it will do.

The bullet should go transonic somewhere around a mile. If it does well here, then it is all about cranking up the scope and seeing what happens further out.

On paper, the 7mm VLD bullet should be much easier to drive over 2000yds vs the 6.5 Scenar. We shall see.

I will also test the 6.5 140gr VLD berger and see what happens. I am now using Bergers in my F class rifles.

Jerry

I see you like Shilen barrels.

What is your opinion of Bartlein barrels ?

What makes Shilen better, in your opinion than Hart, LW etc.

Thanks for responding.

Regards...Martin

Bartlein makes a very good barrel. If you get a barrel from a top quality maker, you will get a good shooter.

I have tried barrels from several top makers and they all shot similarly.

Boils down to preference, availability and cost.

I use Shilens cause they make prefits for the Savages. The performance has been excellent so I keep using them.

Most other barrel makers do not produce prefits.

Jerry

Really well done and well written. As is said, the proof is in the puddin'

Questions: F(TR) - whatzat stand for:confused:

Found the answer on benchrestcentral.com:

F-Class Target (F-T/R) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5/56mm x 45 NATO cartridge cases. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly attached to the rifle's forend, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle's overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any sighting system is permitted , but it must be included in the rifle's overall weight.
The provisions of Rules 3.16 and 3.16.1 apply to the definition.
(1) The rifle's overall weight, including all attachments such as sights, sling and bipod, must not exceed 8.25 kilograms (approximately 18.15 pounds). An "attachment" also includes any external object, other than the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the lifting of the rifle from its rest/firing point.
(2) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle rests as defined 3.4.1(b).
:cool:

Re-reading this article is just as much fun as reading it the first time. Although I see little opportunity in the future to try mile shooting it certainly does sound like fun.
Thanks, again.

Work and soon, new website will keep me busy for some time.

But I hope to have more info based articles and reviews in the future.

This season will be about practising for F class matches.

Might be able to do some LR testing of the 90gr 22cal Berger VLD.

A few scope reviews and I am going to be swamped.

Will keep you guys updated. Thanks,

Jerry

Well written and very insightful!!! I have always heard the transonic warnings and wondered about their validity. I'm shooting 155SMK's at 1K and having good luck but wondering how they will hold up past that. I guess I'll know more after this weekend. Going to give it a try. At 100yd zero I have 68moa of up left. I only need 32 to get to 1K but much more to reach 1760.

Last edited:
Well written and very insightful!!! I have always heard the transonic warnings and wondered about their validity. I'm shooting 155SMK's at 1K and having good luck but wondering how they will hold up past that. I guess I'll know more after this weekend. Going to give it a try. At 100yd zero I have 68moa of up left. I only need 32 to get to 1K but much more to reach 1760.

I don't anticipate you will have any issues. Run a ballistics program and see where you bullet is supposed to go transonic - around 1100fps.

Then go 200yds further. If the bullet makes it without issues, get more up cause you can go as far as your sights will let you.

155gr Amax have no issue making the trip.

With the up you have, you will likely tap out around 1500yds.

It takes about as much elevation to 1000yds, to get to 1500yds. Then that much to get another 300yds. Then another 200yds, etc.

Yes, falling out of the sky big time.

Enjoy...

Jerry

In the AR the heavier bullets perform great at long range the 75gr Horandy is excellent with Reloader 15 or Varget but these long bullets require hand feeding in the AR......to long for the mag.......no problem in a bolt.

gun)

Did you use go gauge to set up your barrel? I used a full length sized case backed off just a hair for my 22-250 and it shoots 2-3" at 400 yards, adams and bennett (the go gauge was 1/4 the price of the barrel). I have a shilen 223 7 twist and used a go gauge and I'm disapointed with the groups, around 3" at 400 yards. Just wondering how you set up yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.