Shooting 80lb + ???

I shoot an 80lb Bowtech CPXL. I love the thing it shoots my arrows which are prob pushing 500 grains at about 300fps. If you can draw the weigh comfortably I think it's the way to go. I have never had a problem drawing my bow in any hunting situation.

I am considering upper weights to extend my range. I don't stand hunt so an extra 10/20 yards when sneaking on lopes would make a big difference. I want to shoot heavy arrows to have enough energy at 100 for elk and thats the only reason I am considering higher weight. I know my 70lb tribute will get an arrow to 100 but if I am going to upgrade I want to consider all options for better performance.
Ted Nugent always talks about low pound draw weight he kills many animals also I think it must be a balance between draw weight and arrow weight to have the proper amount of kinetic energy when it reaches the target

The main difference is an arrow with a quality razor sharp broadhead kills by massive blood loss.

A well placed broadhead whether shot by an 80# draw weight or a 50# draw weight bow will cut enough vital vessels or organs to cause a quick death to the animal.

Bullets are similar but used hydrostatic shock travelling through the juicy parts of the body to cause massive damage to the bodies vital organs.

A properly tuned 50 pound draw weight bow will shoot an arrow through a 5 gallon bucket of sand as where a 30-06 shooting a hunting type bullet won't travel all the way through the bucket.

Which one killed the bucket deader?

I shot big bows from 1976 to 2004. I always shot heavy thick walled aluminum arrows because I could handle the stress placed on my frame at the time. If the big heavy weight bows turn your screw, have at them. Learn the hows and whys an arrow works and it is obvious that in todays age and technology, a big heavy draw weight bow is just not necessary.

I am not telling the world that shooting big bows is stupid. Do it if that is what makes you confident and lethal, What I am saying is that 80 to 100 pound draw weights really do nothing for you that a well tuned 55 pound draw weight bow can't do.

You are the one doing the shooting. Do what you want. I did the big bows for a long time and I feel that all the joint problems that I have on my upper body are from muscling back big bows. I could have done the same amount of blood letting with two-thirds of the power.

ETA I did not realize this thread is so old. The information is the same though. Sorry.
Some of the best advice I've seen on this thread is exactly what you were saying and as far as rifles I have a 338 Lapua magnum but I believe in a lighter pound bow a cut on contact Broadhead do not bother with the expandables

My goal is to shoot heavyish arrows fast. More penetration and less drop. I have more room for error. My group of bow brothers regularly practice at 125 yards. I'm a fan of the high poundage bows, I have a stable full of them. Hoyt nitrum 34 is the best IMO. I have newer bows that don't perform as well or shoot as easy as the nitrum. 80lb. 425 grain arrow, 340 fps.
I've killed more than I can count directly under my climber. And at that distance 50lb is as good as 80lb. But the extra speed and weight really shine at those extended ranges.
White tail. 114 yards pass through.
Elk. 105 yards. Pass through.
Mule deer. 92 yards. Pass through.
You get the idea.
A good broadhead from a 50-60 lb bow will kill at these distances, but consider this.
A 4 yard error in range at 100 yards equals a miss. Speed doesn't kill, but it helps you stay on target with a bow.

I shoot 72#, 28in draw with a 430 grain easton axis 5mm at 279 fps out of my bowtech realm-x. Using a Rage Hypodermic (original version, not the NC) this arrow will blow through whitetails like they weren't even there.

It's funny how old timers shot 100lb longbows. My mentor and a Bowyer still has his 108 on the wall. He said he used to use this as his main bow. But since innovations even with trad bows have come so far you can get the same performance from a 60lb bow.

When I drew my nevada archery bull tag I bumped my hoyt up to 80lb limbs and started shooting a heavier arrow. Blew a 475gr arrow through both shoulders at 40 yds.

LOL, another graveyard thread resuscitated back to life! But why not?!

I use to shoot 74 before 3 shoulder surgeries that had nothing to do with bow poundage. I damaged it many years ago messing with horses. Rt shoulder done again April 1st and had to replace limbs from 70-80 down to 50-60. So shot buck at 30 yards couple days ago at 54 lbs 31.5" Black Eagle Rampage 300 (.001) with 100 gr Thunderhead. Still at 275 fps with Hoyt DoubleXL . Blew thru like paper and slammed into tree. Fixed blades will help as we know. I wish I could still shoot heavier just to provide better range forgiveness on yardage estimates. You can't always range before you shoot, faster bows help.

My son shoots 82 lbs Hoyt with 500 gr 4MM FMJ at 300 fps. He does it easily and gets great performance out of it.

If you can draw heavier weight PROPERLY using correct technique to transfer as much load to back deltoids will reduce risk of injury. I am still surprised to see crummy improper draw technique with all the instruction vids that are out there. Bottom line, if you cannot draw bow while maintaining horizontal plane with bow, you are over poundage. Plus moonshot draws will get you tossed off ranges if they are run right.

The draw backs that I found shooting the heavier bow was retrieving arrows. They either go in to far or you look like an idiot trying to get them free. Also, I love 3D competition to gain skill and they can be a shoulder burner.

Recent Posts