Shooting 80lb + ???

I have built quite a few FRANKENBOWS in the 100lb range. I can bent over row 405 so a 100lb draw isn't horrible. That being said.....they aren't faster, don't hit a ton harder and are louder than heck. Just physics. Also they are HARD on your shoulders no matter how stout you are. Shoot em enough and it will hurt. I pay for that crap every time I hit the gym. Knda cool to see 370 on a chrono though. If you could make it quieter than a 22 and not destroy your shoulders, it would be the shiz.

I got fed up with the 90lb limbs on my tribute. I got a 70lb obsession bow and have just been tuning on that. I really wish I wouldn't of messed with the orig 70lb limbs on the tribute and just kept shooting it.

Except for maybe Africa. Why the hell would anyone shoot 100#?? Sharp broadhead and arrow placement!! Except for Predator hunting. I have not used a firearm in 20+years. I solely bowhunt all game. Including incredibly tough boar. Through them all I shoot my bow at 67#. Being in NY I do a ton of treestand hunting. My 67# bow feels like 200# after sitting in freezing temps all day. Couldn't imagine anything more nor is it needed.

I used to shoot big bows when I was younger. Mid 70's to the late 80's.

All of my bows were 80#s plus.

I will tell you that I believe that I destroyed my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders shooting big bows.

As of now, I can roll over 55#s with a little pain in my joints and I must shoot a release because my fingers are all bent up and don't work like they used too. I cannot "straighten" either of my arms to what would be considered full range. I can barely fire a pistol and my trigger work leaves a lot to be desired.

If I were to do it all again, I would not shoot big bows. I would shoot 60 to 65 pounders and make sure my set up is well tuned and I would use cut on contact broadheads. I am one of those people that like pass through penetration and two holes to let the blood out.

I have been a bowhunter education instructor for 30 years now and I always tell people that ask about draw weight that a well tuned 55 pound draw is just as lethal as a well tuned 85 pound draw.

That is a fact.

My advice is to not use a big bow unless you feel that it is absolutely necessary. Todays bows are so efficient that there is no need to draw 85 pounds.

Shoot a bow that you can draw comfortably while sitting down in 25 degree weather after you have been sitting for three hours.

mtwarych
Do you tell everyone that an accurate 22rf is the same as a 30-06? Because a well placed shot with a 22 is just as lethal.

That is a fact.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I don't understand why so many post that a high poundage bow is not necessary/needed and lower poundage bows work just as well.
I suppose everyone that has posted opinion on this thread uses the smallest legal caliber rifle for hunting that is allowed?
I really doubt that is the case. So why all the negative comments it's not what the OP was asking.

The main difference is an arrow with a quality razor sharp broadhead kills by massive blood loss.

A well placed broadhead whether shot by an 80# draw weight or a 50# draw weight bow will cut enough vital vessels or organs to cause a quick death to the animal.

Bullets are similar but used hydrostatic shock travelling through the juicy parts of the body to cause massive damage to the bodies vital organs.

A properly tuned 50 pound draw weight bow will shoot an arrow through a 5 gallon bucket of sand as where a 30-06 shooting a hunting type bullet won't travel all the way through the bucket.

Which one killed the bucket deader?

I shot big bows from 1976 to 2004. I always shot heavy thick walled aluminum arrows because I could handle the stress placed on my frame at the time. If the big heavy weight bows turn your screw, have at them. Learn the hows and whys an arrow works and it is obvious that in todays age and technology, a big heavy draw weight bow is just not necessary.

I am not telling the world that shooting big bows is stupid. Do it if that is what makes you confident and lethal, What I am saying is that 80 to 100 pound draw weights really do nothing for you that a well tuned 55 pound draw weight bow can't do.

You are the one doing the shooting. Do what you want. I did the big bows for a long time and I feel that all the joint problems that I have on my upper body are from muscling back big bows. I could have done the same amount of blood letting with two-thirds of the power.

ETA I did not realize this thread is so old. The information is the same though. Sorry.

I understand the how's and whys of how an arrow works
Example
If you put the same Broadhead on 2 different arrows that are shot at the same speed but the arrow shot from my 80# bow weighs 100 grains more then the other arrow. How do you figure they are equals ?
That would be like saying a 155 grain ELD out of a .308 Win would work equal to a 178 grain ELD out of a .300 WM.

Draw weight is not an indicator of bow efficiency.
It is the force draw curve which indicates efficiency which is equal to the bows stored energy. If an 80 lb draw weight and a 60 draw wight bow have identical force draw curves (i.e. stored energy) and equal brace heights they have equal amount of potential energy.
A balanced heavy for weight arrow has more potential energy than a light balanced for weight arrow driven at the same speed due to its heavier weight. The only advantage is that the lighter one will shoot flatter for longer distances. The potential energy advantage is still the heavier arrow. Additionally a heavy arrow will produce less noise upon release and buck wind better than a light arrow. The heavy for weight arrow will shed its speed faster. Therefore, the lighter arrow will retain a speed advantage but potential energy is still the the heavy arrow.
To change the force draw curve most bow designers will use an eccentric cam type of wheel to get the max area under a force draw curve = more stored potential energy.
To quote mtwarych "In todays age and technology, a big heavy draw weight bow is just not necessary."

Good points guys ! After all that great advise I traded my 80#er in for a 30# bow [thats the lowest legal draw weight in WI] with overdraw so I can keep my arrows as light as possible!this thing shoots super flat. I can use the same pin at 5 10 and 15 yards!
I found any shots over 15 yards I have to dial for wind though which is kinda a pain in the butt.But it is a killing machine! It can even knock over an empty beer can at 35 yards![with field tips] when I am using broadheads the arrows even sticks in the can! [one time at 35 yards the broadhead went thru both sides of the can] Figured thats plenty powerful enough for deer!
Plus now I don't have to worry about my arm falling off! So I figure I should be a killing machine with this bow well into my 90's

Good for you gus.. nothing like helping a troll find his path. I just hope you have a good orthopedic buddy to fix you up after all them years of being an absolute bad *** and a beast for pulling heavy bows, I read about legends like you all the time and wonder where have they all gone? Looks like we've been blessed with one here...

Did I read this right.. you shot all the way through ONE elk???? afuckingmazing! I bet that made you harder than a diamond in a blizzard, I don't think I know anyone who has ever come close to going all the way through an elk, not even with a 338 RUM!

You must pound all the puss you alpha you! Do you have a fan mail address? I need to let everyone know about the WI guy who shot through an elk, surely your awesome story is published in every magazine.. even hot rod magazine and better homes!... We are not worthy of sharing this forum with such greatness.

ohiohunter Do you shoot a high poundage bow? I am guessing you do not. Assuming that you do not means You have no business posting, but you can if you want and that is like you said Being a TROLL
It might help to read the OP's posts so you understand what questions were being asked
His first question was. How many of you guys are shooting heavy weight bows?

I'm sorry if my posts bothered you some we're to answer the OP's questions and the last one was a joke.
Either way it seems they have gotten your panty's all bunched up!
Seeing's how you felt the need to attack me personally I now think I understand what type of person you are. Seems to me you have a bad case of LMS.

Based on your post you seem to enjoy sarcasm, apparently not when you're on the receiving end. Is little gussy gettin teary eyed, awww. Would you like to borrow my safari bow in the mean time? :D

Sure I'll borrow that bow of yours you probably can't pull it back anyway.

This is an old thread, but just wanted to drop in my experience. I shot an 80lb bow for a couple seasons. I injured my shoulder two years ago when a log rolled the wrong way while moving it...long story. Anyway, I definitely couldn't pull 80lbs anymore. I had to shoot a 41lb bow that season. I did a lot of research on building arrows and what would penetrate best. An arrow with extreme FOC and a Solid Broadhead accounted for a couple pass through shots on two does later that season, and a nice buck. One arrow went through a leg bone. This got me thinking...did I really need 80lbs when a 40lb bow shot through a leg bone at 39yds?

I now shoot a 60lb bow...and sometime the same 40lb bow. My arrows weigh around 500 grains, the majority of that weight in the front behind the insert. I've yet to have an arrow not pass through a deer. Yes, my bow isn't as fast now, but it's super quiet and my blood trails have been shorter.

Most new bows are so efficient, that it doesn't really accomplish much shooting a bow over 70lbs.