Shooting 80lb + ???

lazylabs

How many of you guys are shooting heavy weight bows? I am looking to replace my Tribute post 2015 and see there are fewer heavy weight options all the time. Should i get the 100lb safari and hope the noise from my rotator cuff tearing doesn't spook the game? Haha

I shoot a 68lb Matthews bow. In the summer I can draw and shoot smoothly without much effort. However, after several hours hanging off the side of a tree in the freezing cold, that 68lbs seems more like a 100lb. Add some heavy clothing and it's a maximum effort to make a nice smooth draw without attracting the attention of game animals.

80lbs is definitely out of my league in a realistic hunting scenario. :D

I'm not as big a bow hunter as I am rifle, but I do lots of bow hunting. This always comes up as a topic. I shoot 68# I am able to shoot much heavier. The reason I dont is because my father is a bow hunting machine. He has killed everything north America has to offer with a bow with no issues. He pulls 52# on a Mathews he is currently working through all the animals in Africa also and has had no issues. He always told me to pull only what I could stop mid draw and still finish. Never understood till two season ago. I had the largest buck I had seen with a bow in my sights as I was drawing back he looked right toward me I stopped mid pull and was able to hang on till he dropped his head. I was very tired but still managed to get my buck. Funny part was I was just about to raise the draw weight as I felt like I was giving up something. But if 52# Mathews can take a elephant it will take anything else you need. Shot placement is so much more important than draw weight, and the easier it pulls the better you should shoot.

I am considering upper weights to extend my range. I don't stand hunt so an extra 10/20 yards when sneaking on lopes would make a big difference. I want to shoot heavy arrows to have enough energy at 100 for elk and thats the only reason I am considering higher weight. I know my 70lb tribute will get an arrow to 100 but if I am going to upgrade I want to consider all options for better performance.

I would look at a Mathews or a bowtech. Seem to be the two most common bows for what you are stating. Several others would also work but those are the two i have had experience with and seem to deliver good velocity down range

I shoot an 80# quest absolutely love it wish I would have spent the money on a safari so I would have 90/100# bow.But no shop around here had one to try and I didn't want to spend a $1000 on a bow I hadn't seen or shot.
When I started looking for a high poundage bow I heard all the same crap I am hearing here!! (what do you want a bow like that for when a 60# bow will do everything you need.blah blah blah) fact is I can pull my 80# easily in any weather (I live and hunt in Wisconsin that means late season hunting in teens /single digits NO PROBLEM!) if you can do it I say go for it. there is nothing better then shooting a nice bull elk at 35 yards and finding your arrow and a huge blood trail because you just had a pass thru shot. speaking from experience (Colorado 2013)
Also found the easton axis aluminum over carbon arrows are sweet ! I found them to be a great arrow for a high poundage bow couldn't find any other arrows that were stiff enough.

How many of you guys are shooting heavy weight bows? I am looking to replace my Tribute post 2015 and see there are fewer heavy weight options all the time. Should i get the 100lb safari and hope the noise from my rotator cuff tearing doesn't spook the game? Haha

I shot heavy bows for about 28 plus years, both shoulders shot, sometime lift thing a small can of coffee is a killer. Doc won't fix bad ticker

With the speed bow tech that is out now, I see no need to shot 80 lbs. I am of short stature and medium build and my 70 lb Insanity CPX is smooth all day long. If you are of large build, then 80 might be no problem. You said , you wanted to extend your range and that is why you were thinking 80 lbs?
I have a 6 pin sight and it's pretty easy to guess the in between yardages out to 80 yards. I have shot at 90 before with great accuracy but the 8.7 gpi arrow makes it harder to guess the in between ranges at those distances. A single pin sight might be better for those shots.
If you are looking to shoot at 90+ yards, go with the smallest diameter arrows possible. I've been told that the Easton G series (deep six) is the best for bucking the wind.

I used to shoot 80 but now I am back to 65. Not that I cant still shoot it but I have had no problems punching arrows through deer, bear and the one elk I shot I also got a pass through. My bow is even 20 years old now and I am sure the newer ones are significantly more efficient. I do shoot a pretty heavy arrow (Easton Axis Camo) but I really dialed back not because of anything mentioned. My 65 pound rig is just a lot quieter which is why I never replaced it. I have shot side by side with many of the newer rigs but mine is still noticeably quieter. I have had as much problem with animals jumping the string so i stuck with it.

I shot 80 plus pound bows for years. As the newer bows got more efficient I realized that there was a law of diminishing returns as I went heavier in poundage. My North American hunting rig is a Bowtech CPXL 72# bow shooting a 3-71 ACC with a 125 gn head. This is considered a heavy arrow by todays standard. Blows through everything I have shot, bears, elk, moose, deer even most African Plainsgame. However, when I turn my sights to Buffalo and things of this nature, I whip out the 84 pounder and sling the 700-900 gn arrows.

Years ago, I worked my way up to 98 pounds to be able to hunt Africa (100+ pounds was required and 1000 grain arrows. with todays bows this weight is really not necessary for elk and deer.

I found that drawing more than 96 pounds out of position (Standing)was difficult and excessive movement was necessary.

I feel that anywhere around 80 pounds is more than enough for anything that walks this earth
if the right arrow weight and a good broad head are used. For many years I shot between 85 and 96 pounds depending on how much practice I was able to get in.

As with anything practice is very important especially with the heavy weights.

J E CUSTOM

lazylabs did you buy a new bow ? I am in the market again and was wondering where your research lead you. I am in the same boat can't seem to find much info on the 80
# bows that are out there .