Shooting 338 lapua past 2300 yards

steeltraps

The other day i shot my 338 lapua out to 2342 yards and loved it!!! Got 2 hits out of 15 that were with in 9 inch of the spot i was aiming at! I was shooting at rocks as usual, but i have found a rode that takes me close , 300 yards to the rocks im shooting at, i am thinking about back packing a 30 inch peice of ar-500 steel down to a tree next to the large rock i shoot at! The load was 300 otm berger at 2850 fps! Used 100.5 MOA of elevation! Flight time is 4.2 seconds! Only had to use 2 to 4 moa of wind at 2342 yards even though we started at 1700 using almost 8 moa of wind. I guess it the topograph of shooting at the mountain we shoot at! At the bottom the wind meter will be steady 8 mph but the wind at the rocks doent reflex the wind YOU think you are seeing. I think this is caused by topograph and wind shear of the mountain! Had a great time, just want to say thanks to everyone who steered me toward the 300 gr OTM berger!!!! gun)

, i am thinking about back packing a 30 inch peice of ar-500 steel down to a tree next to the large rock i shoot at!

Keep in mind a 30" square steel target is 95 lbs and awkward to carry. I wanted to carry mine further than we could get the truck last weekend and decided to abandon that idea after carrying it 20 yards to the close in target spot.

Congrats on pushing the lapua out of its comfort zone.

Most days shooting ELR, putting shots in a 1 MOA target will be challenging but that's why it never gets old. If you are able go ahead and hump that plate out there you will be glad you did.

I had to carry my 24"x24" about 200 yards through a plowed field the other day to get past a mile, it was a workout but a little exercise never hurts. You might want to buy a buddy a six pack and get him to help you out with that 30 incher though gun)

WOW! thanks for the advice guys! I never done anything but take it out of the truck bed and hang it up. Honestly can say i have never carried it but a few yards. I would have guess it at 75 lbs. Im 41 6'o feet 240 not fat, brick mason, but im not looking for a super workout either! May pay one of my YOUNG labors to do it. Thanks guys!! :D

Good job! We have shot the Lapua out to 2662yds. Hopefully going to try around 3000yds within the next couple of weeks. Then I`m gonna pull the 375 & 408 Cheytac out and try 2 miles (3520yds). Wish me luck.

Thanks! Good luck on 2 miles! My best so far is 2502 yards. Im trying to get to 2650 yards myself, with 338 lapua imp. I have almost all the parts for my 375 cheytec build , just need the barrell . Hope to get started on it by mid -summer!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.