Shooting 280 Rem Ammo in a 280AI Rifle

59FLH

For those of you who have and those of you who do, what has been your experience for accuracy?

I am in the process of re-barreling a few actions and one of them could end up 280AI. If the accuracy is acceptable I will shoot straight 280 rounds until I have a qty of fire formed Ackley brass. If I can fire form my way to Ackley with 280 Rem ammo I most likely will do it, if not I will have to think about the cost and effort, and may just re-barrel in 280 Remington.

I can take a junk .284 barrel and ream it into 280AI so's not to wear and tear the new barrel fireforming, but I don't want to waste bullets, powder and primers, or I can COW with some toilet paper and Hi-Score, AA#2 etc....but I'm really not that bored. If the ammo shoots accurate its a no brainer.

Please reply with your experience shooting 280 Remington ammo out of a rifle chambered 280AI, just because I can doesn't mean I should.

I have multiple ackley chamberings and with a little load development 1/2 moa is about normal out of any one of them in fact a lot of my hunting is done with fireforming ammo

I have multiple ackley chamberings and with a little load development 1/2 moa is about normal out of any one of them in fact a lot of my hunting is done with fireforming ammo
This.
I work up a fire forming load just like a final load. Find the best accuracy, and load up the rest of my virgin brass. I have shot tons of coyotes and LR steel with fire forming loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts