Shootin technique - Heartbeat

zoeper

When taking aim, my crosshairs are moving vertically with every heartbeat (+- 200mm at 330 yds). What can i do to manage this?
any suggestions apreciated
Pieter

Are the crosshairs moving because the rifle is moving, or are the crosshairs moving because your head/eye is moving and you are seeing the Paralax in the scope?

What position are you shooting from? I'm not great at it, but what I've read, bone on bone contact eliminates muscles from the hold and limits the influence of your heartbeat. If you are shooting from the bench, you might be squeezing the rifle too tight. What rifle are you shooting?

Other things I've heard, aspirin (thinner blood), meditation (slower heartbeat), thicker clothing, gloves, different position.

AJ

AJ,
It's interesting that you would mention aspirin - I noticed the pulsing of the rifle (not my head relative to the scope) yesterday during a competition. It just so happens that i had a pounding headache for most of the day. I suspect that the headache was due to partial dehydration and while i do not like to take medication, just keeping well hydrated might have a similar effect as the aspirin - thinner blood???? I will definately explore that avenue further.
I am very skinny and that would probably tie in with the thicker clothing theory. If i'm having rifle and bone with an artery in between, it would act like a hydraulic ram. Clothing, muscle mass or fat might dampen the effect..

When i first noticed it yesterday, i was shooting while seated on a stool and with the front end of the stock on a solid object. I had my right elbow on (just behind)my right knee and my right foot on the ground. The left arm/ elbow was unsupported while the left hand was holding the front end. Rifle is a stock standard hunting rifle.

You really got me thinking AJ
thanks
Pieter

Try to get your right elbow on something more solid than your knee. There are a lot of muscles that will affect your shot when you have the elbow on your knee for a steady aim.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.