Shootin' between heartbeats.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jcpython357, Mar 27, 2003.

1. jcpython357

jcpython357 Well-Known Member

Shootin\' between heartbeats.

Do any of you guys or gals out there shoot between heartbeats and claim that is the only way you get your best groups? A buddy of mine gets one hole groups(5 shots)100yds with his 223 700VS shooting that way, but recently said he couldn't feel his heart anymore and his groups slipped to a Godawful 3/16th.He's beside himself. Claims that's his secret.He's Thinkin' of retiring, Give me your thoughts. [​IMG] Jay

2. RBrowning

RBrowning Well-Known Member

Re: Shootin\' between heartbeats.

JG
    I know what he is talking about, especially when shooting prone. I can see the cross hairs move in an oval patern about 1 1/2" wide x 3/4" high at 100 yards. Of course if I was in better shape and my heart wasn't working so hard it probably wouldn't be so noticable. I try to time it so that I squeeze the shot off in the brief pause between beats. If I was using a rear bag it probably would help a bunch too, but when walking the fields looking for chucks I carry too much as it is.

3. David P. Herne

David P. Herne Well-Known Member

Jay,
    Several years ago while engaged in casual phone conversation with the venerable Sgt. Dean Michaelis - one of the world's preeminent authorities on ultra long range shooting and sniping - I mentioned that I had on numerous occasions over the years heard that [this] was the practice of truly great shooters and snipers. He responded by bursting into laughter and vigorously uttering the words: "That's bullshit!!!"

Regards,
    Dave

4. jcpython357

jcpython357 Well-Known Member

Browning, My bud is shooting on a Sinclair tripod and bag with rear rabbit ear bag, scopelevel, the works, similer to what I use, bipod and rabbit ear, and when I'm shootin' on 24x, reticle don't move one iota off my 1/4" dot I'm pointing at, and accuracy doesn't suck one bit, you got to try one of the Protector bags Sinclairs' has to offer, I got #19 bag, 3/8" flat bottom, love it. DAVE, You know when my buddy told me that I was kinda thinking the same thing. I can't even feel my heartbeat when I'm shootin'. [​IMG] Jay P.S. My bro lives in Houston, (Somersworth Ave.)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Most shooters will be better served by focusing on sight alignment, shoulder pressure, and follow through when the moment of action is upon them. [​IMG]

6. moosehunter

moosehunter Well-Known Member

Exactly what is "follow through"? Someone wrote, "see the fire". I shoot a .300 win mag and I try to have the recoil hit with total surprise. I can usually tell when its a good one because I see the crosshairs jump out of the bull on recoil. Is this follow through?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, this is something you should always see. With big magnums, and slow burning powder, you will also see a yellowish orange flame fill your scope after the crosshairs begin to move. There is more fire to see with an efficient brake, very little to see with a suppressor. Shooting just before dusk will make the flash easier to notice.

8. speedbump

speedbump Well-Known Member

Shooting between heartbeats (and breaths) is a must for shooting from a sling, due to the brachial pulse being transmitted through the sling to the rifle. With a solid position, quality sling, & sound technique (and no caffeine) it is small but noticable. If you watch Olympic shooters heading to the ready line, you'll normally see them walking slower than a 100-year-old arthritic patient.

Shooting from a rest or bipod, the pulse effect should be minimal or non-existant. Probably not there at all. This is why F-class & benchrest shooters can be out of shape or handicapped and still be just as competitive as a youngster from the USMC or USAMTU!

9. FatBoy...

FatBoy... Well-Known Member

With a solid position, quality sling, & sound technique (and no caffeine) it is small but noticable.

DAMNIT!!! I miss out on all four fundimentals [​IMG]

Still,, I put out my best score today at 1000 yard any/any... 198-8,, in a light snow. Who said a 10X scope on top of a 19lbs rifle isn't good for match shooting??? That little Nikon Tactical has been the cats ass.....

Seriously,, I have so much other crap going through my head, my heartbeat is't even a consideration. It may just be happening without my knowledge. I'm more focused on squeezing the trigger, and breaking clean with a good sight picture. Oh,, and doing it before the damn wind changed direction!!

When you comin' back down to visit SpeedBump?? You got that barrel all burned out yet? [​IMG]

FatBoy...

10. speedbump

speedbump Well-Known Member

Fatboy, a 198-8 is super! Getting used to the sling supported prone I see. Shooting the 6.5-284? I'm hoping to get down there next month to visit you characters again.

11. FatBoy...

FatBoy... Well-Known Member

If you can get down this month, make it to Oak Ridge the 26/27th April. It's the State Long Range Championship.

COF is Any/Iron at 600, then Any/Any at 600 on Sat. Sun is Any/Iron, then Any/Any at 1000. Team match each day after main matches are over.

There's going to be a LR clinic Wen/Thu as well. Wednesday Emil Praslik is putting on an iron sight clinic with 80 shots and Thursday Karl "The Animal" (I can't spell his last name) is putting on a any/any clinic with an 80 shot. Karl is an retired Sercret Service man who holds the record for high score any/any at 200-19X and took the Wimbledon home that year.

Both the match and the clinics are opn to F class shooters as well.

Yup,, Shootin' the 6.5x284's yesterday. The new one took high score this time. I got the H4350 workin' with 210M's in the Border barrel.

Now,,,, if I can find a new load for the Green rifle. The H4831SC just isn't cuttin' the mustard any more.

BTW,, did I send you a 1K match schedule for this year yet?

FatBoy...