Shootin Beavers

D

Deleted member 103481

Got some problem beavers damning up a pond overflow stream, this is causing some massive overfilling that is destroying both driveways on our property and neighbors property. I'm fine with beavers, were generally pretty good, but they've overstepped and time to go to war. Friend who's a beaver trapper suggested I just knock the dam then shoot them than evening when they come out to rebuild.

Anybody got experience shooting beavers? I'm a little wary of shooting around water but my state agency lists shooting as a beaver killing method, mentions them being in the water, and mentions you'll probably need a "high caliber" rifle or shotgun over 22. My state also says it's perfectly legal to kill beavers year round by a landowner, so we are all kosher legally for those watching....

What do I shoot them with?

6.5prc? 12 gauge? An AR? Suppressed 300 blackout subs seem like a decent option?

Anybody got a good beaver recipe?

Richocets? Plan on missing.....
If you have to worry about richocets use the shotgun.....
Or just swim out under one as it passes by stick it with a knife.....
22lr will kill'm dead........at least my old Sears and Roebuck pump up 22 caliber did...hard to say if a 22lr will do the job......

I had a beaver burrowing into a levee on a tank on my farm a few years back. I sat and waited, wasting countless hours watching him swim by. Do you know how hard it is to aim at a beavers nose as he swims by, because that's all that's sticking out of the water. I actually hit one one time. It was all luck. The second one, I could never hit. So I watched him and every evening he swam the same path and surfaced at the same place. So I decided to ambush him. I dressed in my best camo to blend into the vegetation on the tank dam. And when he surfaced, I was waiting five feet away with my ak-47. I no longer have a beaver problem in that particular tank.

I had a beaver burrowing into a levee on a tank on my farm a few years back. I sat and waited, wasting countless hours watching him swim by. Do you know how hard it is to aim at a beavers nose as he swims by, because that's all that's sticking out of the water. I actually hit one one time. It was all luck. The second one, I could never hit. So I watched him and every evening he swam the same path and surfaced at the same place. So I decided to ambush him. I dressed in my best camo to blend into the vegetation on the tank dam. And when he surfaced, I was waiting five feet away with my ak-47. I no longer have a beaver problem in that particular tank.

Kind of why I was considering the ricochet issue, seems like in the water I'm looking at a quarter swimming around that I have to hit. I'll scope out the area and see if I can find a point that I can smack him when he gets up on land.

Found a good video of a guy popping them at night with thermal... might need to get one of those.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.