shooter or applied ballistics app

It doesn't look like the shooter app is being actively developed. The last update for Android was in 2013. IOS was recently updated.

I'd go with Applied Ballistics.

The shooter app is a less inclusive version of the Applied Ballistics App. It does not have a couple of key features, including the Custom Curve Library.

Doc does the new Kestrel Sportsman have anything the 4500 AB doesn't have? How do they differ? Does the 4500AB and it's firing solution matter whether you have it set up to read barometric pressure or station pressure?

Doc does the new Kestrel Sportsman have anything the 4500 AB doesn't have? How do they differ? Does the 4500AB and it's firing solution matter whether you have it set up to read barometric pressure or station pressure?

So the New Kestrel Sportsman is to bridge the gap. The K4500AB model does things the Sportsman doesnt.

The sportsman will connect and talk to the mobile apps. However it does not accept custom drag curves. You can input your own BC, but the AB Custom Library won't work in it. It also does not have DSF (Drop Scale Factor) some people call this ballistic calibration. It does have MV Calibration in it though. No Coriolis, No Spin Drift, No Aerodynamic jump in the sportsman.

I have both apps. I live, work and shoot in a metric environment and the new AB (iOS version) just doesn't cut it. Choosing metrics in AB gives you a mishmash of different stuff. Shooter on the other hand handles metrics just great.

Know absolutely nothing about app development but I do wonder why the AB developers haven't had a closer peek at Shooter and the way Shooter works. A licensing question perhaps?

As I have been informed by BL himself the same Solver model is used in both apps.

Hanging out for the next update. How far away is it, Doc?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts