Shoot through tape on your barrel?

KSB209

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.

thanks for the intel fellas. This week was my first time ever doing the electrical tape thing. Normally I just carry my rifle but I was hiking in almost 10 miles and didn't want to carry the gun so I attached it to the pack and taped the muzzle. It was on the back of my mind the whole time if I should remove it if I get a shot. Never got a shot off so I didn't have to worry about it but I was thinking I would remove the tape if I needed to. Guess I don't need to….thanks

thanks for the intel fellas. This week was my first time ever doing the electrical tape thing. Normally I just carry my rifle but I was hiking in almost 10 miles and didn't want to carry the gun so I attached it to the pack and taped the muzzle. It was on the back of my mind the whole time if I should remove it if I get a shot. Never got a shot off so I didn't have to worry about it but I was thinking I would remove the tape if I needed to. Guess I don't need to….thanks
What they said. No problem. 👌

One more for reference

I hope he was shooting at 2 different bullseyes on that 100 yard target when taped and in taped because if he was going for the same target there is a POI difference. But ok I don't have a problem now shooting with a taped barrel for 100-200 yards.

My capabilities are around 400 yards on game. Would you guys that can reach out to 600, 800, or 1000 yards think about shooting with tape on? Sort of a devils advocate question. Is it ok at short to medium range but at long range when there are so many variables would you do it?

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
We have used "Finger Cots".
Fits over the muzzle and prevents water, snow, and dirt. No POI change. Also shot 966yds and no issue.
There are several other posts on LRH for this subject.