Shoot it or make it a safe queen?

A family friend passed away a few weeks ago. Since I was the only gun owner she knew, the widow asked me and the little lady over Saturday to evaluate the 30 firearms she had so she could sell them. Took my borescope and found one which could not have been ever fired. Serial number indicates a 1983 Ruger 77 in 22-250 totally 100% condition. This rifle has the most perfect barrel I've ever seen on a 77. No machine marks, smooth lands and grooves and the walnut stock hasn't a single mark with the checkering very sharp. I've offered her a very fair price and she accepted. Shoot it or safe queen? I personally shoot and hunt all my rifles, but is this worth saving as a unfired? As a side note, there is thousands of hand loaded rifle and pistol ammo in bags. For liability purposes, how should this be disposed? She wants to be rid of all firearms and ammunition ASAP.
Could you provide me a list of all the ammo and any components? Depending on what she has I might just be willing to buy it as components and break it all down. Please PM me.

Oh, and I agree with this one.
I suspect that an unshot 1982 Ruger is not worth much more than one in the store today. If I'm wrong, sell it and move on.

Yes I recently found out that just because something is old doesn't mean its worth what you think it is!

I would shoot it, respect it & keep it in as top condition as possible, as one of the other fella's said every time you take it out & take down a coyote you will think of your mate!

Keep it in the family for generations to come :)

Could you provide me a list of all the ammo and any components? Depending on what she has I might just be willing to buy it as components and break it all down. Please PM me.

Regrettably she sold all the reloads to her son's friend along with all the reloading equipment/tools. He's going to shoot it all. Only one word comes to mind "liability".

Turnbull does restoreations, but not necessarily accepted by collectors, and so costly, it is only reasonable for firearms where many $1000 are considered. Point is, WHY f/u a perfectly good collector piece, by ditzing around shooting it, when you can sell it to a collector, make some bucks on it, they are happy with getting it, and you are coming out on top, as can get a shooter, and ammo, etc. See Dr. Vette's remarks about the unrestored cars worth more too. I have a friend here, professional mechanic, who restores cars. NOT inexpensive. Just respect the gun and what it is, and let a collector who will appreciate it have it, and go use the money for a shooter, if that's what you want.

Jack, if I could find a collector willing to buy it, I wouldn't mind selling but it's not that easy. I've already sold some new brass I purchased with the rifle and looked at a few Ruger sites for the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.