Shoot big game from the road/vehicle in wyoming?

I've had many in depth discussions with both legislators and law enforcement (Game Wardens) regarding interpretation, the letter of the law and the SPIRIT of the law, or the intention behind it.
In PA, the verbiage in the law states it is illegal to alight from a vehicle and shoot at a animal until you have gone 25' from the traveled portion of the roadway. While many interpret that to mean you cannot shoot from the road or within 25' of it, that is not the case. It is intended to prevent road hunting. There is a huge difference between walking/stalking still hunting or putting on a drive while walking on the road or the shoulder as opposed to driving around, seeing a deer standing in the middle of a field and jumping out of the car throwing the gun up and shooting. Not only unsafe but unethical as well. Not fair chase.

I don't know of any state except Texas that allow shooting from a vehicle unless disable. Most states don't allow for a round in the chamber and being inside a vehicle either. Also leaning a rifle or shotgun against a vehicle with a round in the chamber is illegal too. I know of one person that got a transmission while hunting in Colo. He was a local too. At lease he didn't have to use his tag.

@ Mike Matteson

Can you please clarify the bolded words in the sentence above.
I've read it several times and still don't understand.

Did the person get a ticket for transmission of a loaded firearm in a vehicle or shot the transmission while the vehicle was in motion with a loaded firearm inside?

I may be a little slow but the sentence isn't clear.
Thanks.

Edited to add: Wyoming has no laws against transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
The Wyoming regulation says if there is a right-of-way fence on a public road you have to be on the non-road side of the fence (across the fence from the road) to legally shoot, if there is no ROW fence then you have to be at least 30 feet off the driving surface of a public road to legally shoot.

You can not legally walk out to the right-of-way fence and use a fence post to rest your rifle on to shoot, you have to be over the right-of-way fence

ClearCreek
Well I'll be ! I've never had a problem but have rarely shot from side of road. A game Warden told me years ago to just get off the road .

See attached

Attachments

• 5DA056B5-3B7F-492E-A1E1-1E861B430A33.jpeg
    5DA056B5-3B7F-492E-A1E1-1E861B430A33.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 99
See attached

And I'm not sure it says the "animal" can't be within 30 feet of the road. Some may interpret it that way.

Attachments

• FC8EFDEA-789F-4C72-A41B-DE84FA43670B.jpeg
    FC8EFDEA-789F-4C72-A41B-DE84FA43670B.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I do find it interesting that a regulation regarding the use of Specialized Hunting Technologies and Equipment
that prohibits:
b) …real-time video photography equipment…(think WiFi or cellular technology) to transmit images or video for remote viewing….
And
d) No person shall sell or barter any geographic location information for any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison to aid in the taking of any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison.

I wonder if )b and d) are intended to discourage outfitters from sending out "watchers" into the field to "camp on" an exceptional trophy for weeks then call a hunter to come shoot it and including the cost of the "location services" of the "watchers" in the fees that are charged. I'm thinking of the "Spyder Bull" elk from a few years back as an example.

In my experience the G&F wardens in WY have pretty set opinions of what the Wardens Association members feel are "ethical" and "fair chase" and have historically challenged/lobbied against statute changes that they feel are/could be "unethical".

I imagine that most hunters won't agree on what is ethical or deemed fair chase. Then throw non-hunters opinions into the discussion as well.

Not meant as a thread hijack, btw.

D228BAA1-C9B6-4900-8787-EB26D89FCFB3.jpeg

Last edited:
I do find it interesting that a regulation regarding the use of Specialized Hunting Technologies and Equipment
that prohibits:
b) …real-time video photography equipment…(think WiFi or cellular technology) to transmit images or video for remote viewing….
And
d) No person shall sell or barter any geographic location information for any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison to aid in the taking of any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison.

I wonder if )b and d) are intended to discourage outfitters from sending out "watchers" into the field to "camp on" an exceptional trophy for weeks then call a hunter to come shoot it and including the cost of the "location services" of the "watchers" in the fees that are charged. I'm thinking of the "Spyder Bull" elk from a few years back as an example.

In my experience the G&F wardens in WY have pretty set opinions of what the Wardens Association members feel are "ethical" and "fair chase" and have historically challenged/lobbied against statute changes that they feel are/could be "unethical".

I imagine that most hunters won't agree on what is ethical or deemed fair chase. Then throw non-hunters opinions into the discussion as well.

Not meant as a thread hijack, btw.

View attachment 303193
I also live in Cody. The Outfitters Association has a big pull in the state. Example. No non res.in wilderness areas. It's Federal/public land. Not state land. Why does the state have any say in it ? Hmmm? It has been fought in court. Does a resident have a better chance a not being attacked be a griz ? Or better yet with an outfitter ? All about the money for the state $$$. The areas for deer , elk and lope, so micro managed. One side of the road the season is a month different. Different rules , does, bucks, dates, etc.. you constantly have to think and check of you are legal. More revenue for fines. Non residents have to buy a point every other year or lose there points. What BS. AZ., Ut., and Nv. did away with that. One year residency requirement. If you move here, you have to pay another year non res. fees before you can apply as a resident. That only applys to F&G. Everything else in state is 6 mon. $$$. I'm not concerned with 30 ft. after 38 years. I could go on but I'm ready for bed . Sleep well all.

The law in Pa allows for shooting from a road you are walking along, or even hunting from, provided you dont shoot across it. In other words you can shoot in the direction away from the road you are walking or hunting from.
You can also shoot across any road, even an interstate road, provided you are well above the vehicle traffic.
That is simply not true. Minimum distance is 25 yards from the road and you have to be at least 20 feet above
the roadway to shoot across a roadway.