Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

Brent, How about a Sinclair Windage B/R Rest.
smile.gif
Jay.

OK, I got ya.
smile.gif
Didn't know if you meant that type, the surveyor tripod type or if they made a tripod type that "mounted" on like a Harris or something.
smile.gif

I have noticed a difference for sure, but "only" if the barrel hadn't been freefloated... that's it. I wondered if recoil caused movement would be different enough to change the 100 yard zero but it's never proven to be true. It might be if you didn't have a support under the butt, when you normally do or something but, I always have mine supported there. If you use something real soft like a backpack then switch to a harris or harder front rest I believe you'd see a change as well. With a solid Harris and firm front bag there isn't any difference IMO.

I believe consistant pressure, torque with your grip, pull into your shoulder and follow through are most important though.

I don't want to start a big debate here but has anyone ever noted any accuracy differences when going from a bipod to tri-pod or vice-versa? No fighting please.
grin.gif
Jay

A very stable set up was shown on the board not too long ago. It used a surveyors tripod - heavy duty, and a rifle rest/holder similar to the Outers varmint rest. It cradles both the front and rear giving very stable support. By locking the swivel head on the tripod, you could get close to bench stability. A very nice set up. There was even a picture.

Other designs use a front pedestal type bag mounted to the top of the tripod. The rear is unsupported except by the shooter. Still a pretty stable design. Quite common in tactical situations. Would have less bounce then the bipod. Also, shoot from a higher vantage point.

Not a fan of bipods as they wiggle and bounce too much for consistent long range accuracy. I would prefer to use a back pack, log or elbows.

My favorite quick rifle rest amounts to a big beanie bag. It cradles about 1/3 of the stock and is surprisingly stable. Good for truck hood shooting. There is a commercial varmint bag that is more elaborate and probably works better. Looks like an X in cross section filled with sand. Would be very stable and cradle the stock well.

Bipods are easy to carry, aren't too heavy but surprisingly slow to deploy in the field. The swivel model is much better then the non. Sorry, if it sounds like bipod bashing but after spending alot of money on a two Harris (excellent product for what it is), I am finding a $5 beanie bag more useful.

Jerry

Boyd, Now thats what I call a tri-pod! I should've been more specific when I asked the question. Shooting off a bench, like in benchrest type competition with a shooting rest like the Sinclair model I mentioned earlier vs. a Harris bipod, which, if any has the potential to keep your groups the smallest?
shocked.gif
Nice rig, BTW, Boyd, What do you all have in that rig? Jay

Jay,
I think both are equal if you get in possition with the Harris so the rear support is solid enough to keep the sight picture TOTALLY STILL, otherwise the BR rests are better for this reason.

You'd have to consider a table to get that setup high enough in alot of situations though so, it's fairly impractical for prone.

The Harris with a bag under the butt like the one Jerry uses will keep the rear stable and offer a steady hold.

Idealy, a bipod front "and" rear would offer no horizontal or vertical movement and be much better than anything else in the rear. I use a bag like Jerry and a bipod up front for total control of elevation. Both elbows are firm on the ground out to the side to control horizontal movement, the backpack or bag and the bipod do the rest quite well.

I find the bipod fast to deploy, and offers total stability up front, that leaves only one end close to the shooter to deal with.

The reason the BR rests are used is the same reason I'd use one if toting around a table to shoot from too... a better return to battery setup than a bipod and bag for multiple shots IMHO.
smile.gif

yes gentelmen I to want to know how much and where to get one of these tripods. yes sir now that is a hunting rest if I have ever seen one.

yes gentelmen I to want to know how much and where to get one of these tripods. yes sir now that is a hunting rest if I have ever seen one.

I have also tried using hunting arrow shafts for the rear support with the Harris bipod on the front to get into a sitting position. This works ok out to about 700 yards, but sitting isnt' the best for me to be stable any further than this.

I have never tried the varmit bag that looks like an X from the front or rear. I though it was a good idea, but looked to heavy to carry out in the field. The same with the tripod idea, not very portable in the field. I guess it just depends on the hunting situation on what you can carry.

I agree with Brent that the bipod with the rear support and the elbows extended to the sides words very well. I use the non swivel bipod and it is relatively fast. I think the non swivel makes it more solid for longer shots. Sometimes there is a problem with the uneven ground in getting it level for the shot. Sometimes I also have alot of brush in the way and have to shoot sitting to clear it. Sometimes you just have to stay close to where you are on the mountain when you spot the game and make the best out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts