Shock Hammer 30 cal 166 gr

haisardao

Question for the forum, I recently loaded my first batch of Shock Hammer bullets in my 300 wsm. Prep the brass as I normally do, and loaded them to 2.860 as per Nosler manual. Well, can't get the bolt to close at this seating depth. I kept seating the bullet further in and I'm at least to the last band, around 2.710 and the bolt closes but barely.
Never had this issue with Barnes, Sierras, Bergers etc. any ideas? Too long of a bullet x the case? Barrel is a proof prefit x Origin.
Thanks

Question for the forum, I recently loaded my first batch of Shock Hammer bullets in my 300 wsm. Prep the brass as I normally do, and loaded them to 2.860 as per Nosler manual. Well, can't get the bolt to close at this seating depth. I kept seating the bullet further in and I'm at least to the last band, around 2.710 and the bolt closes but barely.
Never had this issue with Barnes, Sierras, Bergers etc. any ideas? Too long of a bullet x the case? Barrel is a proof prefit x Origin.
Thanks
I would call Steve owner of Hammer bullets and talk to him , other than taking up powder space, there is nothing wrong seating to the last drive band . Steve may recommend a different bullet being that you have a standard throat for your 300 wsm.

I would call Steve owner of Hammer bullets and talk to him , other than taking up powder space, there is nothing wrong seating to the last drive band . Steve may recommend a different bullet being that you have a standard throat for your 300 wsm.
My post got behind of the previous post , there is nothing wrong with a slightly compressed load , start low and work up to pressure , if you are running out of powder space , you might try a faster powder.

FWIW.
When I start new with Hammer bullets I run the cleaning rod down the bore with the bullet jammed slightly to get the measurement (never needed th Hornady tool). Then back off to .050" generally to start. Most of the loads end here without needing to refine seating depth. These bullets are better than the old Match King WRT jump tolerance.

I've responded to a few threads that have been addressing Hammer bullets. I'm not finding a manual that covers them so have been relying on Steve from Hammer and other's experience and information. The best suggestion that I can make with Hammers is to start low with the load data and work up from there. As for the bolt closing issue that you are inquiring about I would use a Hornady Loc & Load bullet comparator to get the COAL for your particular rifle. I bought some .30 caliber, 199gr Shock Hammers for my 30-06 for a bear hunt. When I measured for COAL I was surprised to find that the COAL was actually at a length where I could work a load that was .020 thousandths off the lands. The rifle is a Ruger 77 with a 1:10 Lilja barrel. The issue that I've had with the Ruger is the magazine is 3.340 and as a result leaving the COAL adjusted where it's .020 thousandths off the lands means the bullet will be too long for the magazine box. As per lethal performance I still have to rely upon other threads for that. I've hunted with them, but the opportunity to pull the trigger hasn't happened yet. Also I'm not confused with where the grooves are in relationship with the COAL of the bullet. The bullet gets seated where it needs to be and I crimp it with a Lee Professional Crimp Die. What I "have" found is that once the bugs are worked out they do shoot.

Attachments

• 465B6BA3-0694-4E41-8143-B5DC5223B335.jpeg
    465B6BA3-0694-4E41-8143-B5DC5223B335.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
I've responded to a few threads that have been addressing Hammer bullets. I'm not finding a manual that covers them so have been relying on Steve from Hammer and other's experience and information. The best suggestion that I can make with Hammers is to start low with the load data and work up from there. As for the bolt closing issue that you are inquiring about I would use a Hornady Loc & Load bullet comparator to get the COAL for your particular rifle. I bought some .30 caliber, 199gr Shock Hammers for my 30-06 for a bear hunt. When I measured for COAL I was surprised to find that the COAL was actually at a length where I could work a load that was .020 thousandths off the lands. The rifle is a Ruger 77 with a 1:10 Lilja barrel. The issue that I've had with the Ruger is the magazine is 3.340 and as a result leaving the COAL adjusted where it's .020 thousandths off the lands means the bullet will be too long for the magazine box. As per lethal performance I still have to rely upon other threads for that. I've hunted with them, but the opportunity to pull the trigger hasn't happened yet. Also I'm not confused with where the grooves are in relationship with the COAL of the bullet. The bullet gets seated where it needs to be and I crimp it with a Lee Professional Crimp Die. What I "have" found is that once the bugs are worked out they do shoot.

FWIW, I load the 152 HH in my Ruger 300 WM at mag length 3.335" COAL for consistent feeding. Loafing along at 3415 FPS....