Shipping to a gunsmith

I just had a talk with local FFL by the book guy he said if you own it and you are sending it to an FFL they have no recourse you can't send it to an individual. He also stated if you insure it for what ever value you do not have to provide them with any proof of cost they have to pay it's the law.

I just had a talk with local FFL by the book guy he said if you own it and you are sending it to an FFL they have no recourse you can't send it to an individual. He also stated if you insure it for what ever value you do not have to provide them with any proof of cost they have to pay it's the law.

So he works for UPS? Or just a gunshop lawyer? Having spoken to higher ups at UPS on this matter I can tell you he is giving you bad info but take it if it makes you feel better but don't plan on it working out. LOL

I filled several claims over my years with FedEx ups and usps prior to retiring from gunsmithing in May 2022.

99% of my shops work was mail in. And 99% was custom handguns.

You absolutely have to provide proof of value if the item is lost. Just like you have to provide (or they look for some proof of value) if your house gets robbed and you file an insurance claim.

Generally I had to send them screen shots of a replacement item.

You could lie about what's in the box….lie about the replacement item…..

And that's called insurance fraud and May cost you your gun rights if you get caught and convicted.

Do it the right way….and be an honest person.

Do not confuse UPS with "The UPS Store". They are separate companies. "The UPS Store" are individually owned franchises operating under corporate policies other than UPS. No "Store" is authorized to ship firearms; and corporate policy includes anything that is a working part of a firearm. This does not include optics. Maybe a "The UPS Store" will accept a firearm or parts, but they risk losing their franchise license and business equity. Blame that liberalness on corporate, not the individual store personnel. FFL's and parts manufacturers ship directly with UPS.

Notwithstanding the utterly stupid rules and regulations that never stop changing, the cost has become a big factor too. I shipped a rifle from the east coast to the midwest for a barrel replacement. I shipped through our local Post Office. The rifle was put into a plastic hard case and then in an overpack box. It cost $125 to ship one way. The smith was able to return ship for $85, but the total cost to me for just shipping was $210!

At this point, it pays to look for a competent gunsmith who is within driving distance of your home. I dropped off 3 rifles recently on a single trip. Probably just saved $600.

I am also pretty sure that federal law requires you to disclose that you are shipping a firearm to a common carrier (UPS, FedEx, DHS). There is no such requirement to ship via USPS although as mentioned no handguns from a non FFL holder

I am also pretty sure that federal law requires you to disclose that you are shipping a firearm to a common carrier (UPS, FedEx, DHS). There is no such requirement to ship via USPS although as mentioned no handguns from a non FFL holder
There is actually a form for usps that you have to do by law…. 1508 or 1608 form number. Don't recall which one exactly.

I tried shipping a barrel and action to Karl and UPS would not take it.
Had to go to Fed X ($18.00)
The USPS would ship it ,but wanted $30.

That form is for dealers and manufacturers. The only thing I can find on the ATF site is that you are Rey to inform a common cart that you are shipping a gun or ammunition. No where does it say a non licensee must inform the USPS that they are shipping a rifle or shotgun