Shipping to a gunsmith

Buttermilk

What is the best way to ship a firearm to a gunsmith for a build?

I presume it can be shipped directly back to me?

I plan to ship UPS, and wondering what all I need to do.

Looking at the UPS site is rather stifling.

If you've shipped a gun (mine will be an XP-100), tell me how you went about doing it.

All my previous builds were done with me dropping off at the gunsmith.

Thanks.

I have shipped before directly to the FFL, but now days there seems to be a different method directed by shippers. And, that is to have an FFL ship for you to the other FFL. Maybe I am wrong, but this is what I am hearing. Good luck.

Every gun I ever shipped I just shipped it UPS or USPS to the smith or friend. Just take it in and ship it off. Buddy had the USPS in Nebraska make him open the box to show it was unloaded. I have never done that and if they asked me to I would just take it to UPS. Last one was Sept. 22 via UPS.

In short, you either get an FFL or have an FFL do it for you.

UPS recently changed their policy and only ships firearms from a licensee to a licensee. This is a fairly recent change, I want to say around October of last year. They allow 03 FFL holders to ship any firearm.

Fedex has had a similar policy in place for years. I don't know their exact policy.

USPS will accept long guns from a nonlicensee, but not handguns. With an 03 you can only mail C&R handguns.

It is getting harder to ship firearms at this time. UPS has changed their policy and depending on what USPS you go to and if the person working there is a Liberal -Good Luck on shipping. Make sure that you have USPS Regulations printed out and take with you so you can present and get the office manager involved.
Before UPS changed their policy, I would ship firearms and ammo all the time from a local UPS Store. Then they hired some young Liberal Kids and had all sorts of issues. Not only on a complete firearm, but parts as well. Had to have the clerks contact the owner of the store to get approval.
Now I just have UPS pick up at my Home Business with no issue.
If the Liberals can't get the laws changed fast enough to take our firearms away, they are trying to prevent us from buying. selling, shipping, transferring firearms/ammo.

Someone posted in another thread a shipmygun.com solution. Sorry i can't nail it down but there is a gun site or affiliate that helps. Ugh, off to search the web now...

As mentioned UPS has changed their way of doing things but you can ship it yourself using Shipmygun.com. You package at home and bring to UPS to drop off.

ETA: it is associated and run by Bud's Gun Shop so they get a decent rate when using them to ship a rifle or pistol.

Last edited:
I just shipped one to Texas UPS don't tell them what's in it if they ask tell them valuable machine parts and insure it. USPS is even easier. You do not need FFL to send it if you own it that is just a UPS and Fed X thing.

And if it gets lost you are out all the money and the firearm as they won't pay you. Do it right. USPS will ship rifles but you can not ship pistols from individual USPS.

And if it gets lost you are out all the money and the firearm as they won't pay you. Do it right. USPS will ship rifles but you can not ship pistols from individual USPS.
Not out one penny, you will actually get paid for the amount of the machined parts you insured them for. If they find them then your package is delivered and you don't need to file a claim.