• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Shipping Loaded Ammo UPS New Requirements 2021

LDHunter

I have some factory ammo to sell and I've sold some of it locally but that which doesn't sell locally I'll sell here and from what I understand UPS has some new requirements that are in effect as of January 2021.

Here is the UPS bulletin I found.

Shipping Ammunition: UPS - United States

UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes 'cartridges, small arms,' as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59.
www.ups.com

Before y'all start groaning and complaining let me tell you it's not bad at all. There's a new ORMD label (it's plain with no writing on it) which I'll include here for download and other than that the package must be very secure, weigh less than 66 pounds and ammo must be 50 caliber or smaller. No big deal.

The package has to be strong. Here's an excerpt from the page.
"Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, partitioned within a snugly fitting outside box or in metal clips. Cartridges must be properly cushioned and protected from accidental initiation. The inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packaged in securely closed outside packaging that will not open during transit. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg)."

You can't ship from a "UPS Store"... It has to be from one of their facilities owned by UPS where they actually ship out of. The UPS Stores aren't allowed to accept loaded ammunition.

I hope this helps those that are trying to help their fellow hunters/shooters by sharing extra ammo here on LRH.

Y'all take care and let's hope the Dems fail in most of their gun control efforts. It's gonna be a very trying next few years.

By the way... Also from what I've heard there is not extra charge for shipping ammo. Just proper labeling and box.

Attachments

• ORMD Label New 2021.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 603
Wish I'd a seen this before I shipped some ammo a couple weeks ago! I thought I had the box and contents secure, but UPS found a way to tear up the corners of the box, destroy plastic boxes inside and loose some rounds and a magazine. Luckily, it was just 17 HMR ammo and 10/22 mag.
Here's a tip. They say, UPS, that there's $100. insurance on packages. But you just try and collect! They will run you all over and send you (on line) reams of paperwork to complete. There's only 2 centers for "lost and found" in the US and I could not get them to look! You gotta do all the paperwork first. Triple the wrapping and use a strong box! Or use FED EX.

Another heads up for those wanting/needing to ship stuff UPS. At least here in Tallahassee the customer service center at the actual transfer facility where the trucks are dispatched from, and where is the only place you can ship ammo from, has limited hours they're open. It's from 8–11AM and then 5–8PM.

We aren't big by big city standards but we have over 300,000 people in our county and another couple hundred thousand in surrounding counties that don't have a UPS transfer facility and yet they still maintain those limited hours so you might want to check the hours before you run down there only to find a "closed and come back later" sign.... <sigh>

So FedEx ships ammo also?
I don't know. I think all the loaded ammo I've received in the last few years has been UPS but that's not much.

I did some googling and found this.....

They mention FedEx.

I have shipped several boxes with FedEx this year. Tape it up well. Put the diamond ORM-D logo on the outside and drop it off at any FedEx Ground pickup location.

They scan it right in front of me & I get email notices of when it gets delivered.

Works very well!

I have shipped several boxes with FedEx this year. Tape it up well. Put the diamond ORM-D logo on the outside and drop it off at any FedEx Ground pickup location.

They scan it right in front of me & I get email notices of when it gets delivered.

Works very well!
It's interesting that this works for you. Yesterday I went to my local FedEx ground shipping facility and I was told that to ship "cartridges small arms" I first had to establish an account with FedEx and then I could only ship by scheduling a pickup and have the FedEx driver come pick it up from me.

I don't know if the woman at the local FedEx office wasn't properly informed or if different facilities have different policies.

So I went to the UPS transfer facility, which is just a few blocks away, and in just a few minutes I had my package on the way.

Yes be sure to check open hours, I just checked my local UPS service center and they are only open for shipping from M-F 1-6 pm

It's interesting that this works for you. Yesterday I went to my local FedEx ground shipping facility and I was told that to ship "cartridges small arms" I first had to establish an account with FedEx and then I could only ship by scheduling a pickup and have the FedEx driver come pick it up from me.

I don't know if the woman at the local FedEx office wasn't properly informed or if different facilities have different policies.

So I went to the UPS transfer facility, which is just a few blocks away, and in just a few minutes I had my package on the way.
Sounds about right

She is confusing it with dangerous goods shipments (I.e. Primers and powder). I just went through the process of getting my account at UPS set up to ship dangerous goods but I started with FedEx and their requirements are the same (FedEx was so slow in setting me up I ended up staying with UPS). Anyone with proper labeling can ship ammo, UPS store and FedEx store will most likely not take them, their actual hubs will.

Last edited:
Not sure if fed ex ships ammo or not , but from the dealings I've had with ups over the last year I wouldn't ship a pair of holy socks with them . I use only fed ex or yep even the good ol usps first ups is the absolute last resort . Shoot you tie enough carrier pigeons to it and they will get it off the ground eventually

Not sure if fed ex ships ammo or not , but from the dealings I've had with ups over the last year I wouldn't ship a pair of holy socks with them . I use only fed ex or yep even the good ol usps first ups is the absolute last resort . Shoot you tie enough carrier pigeons to it and they will get it off the ground eventually
It varies by where you are at how each shipper does. In my area UPS is great, in 11 years I have never had a package lost or damaged. FedEx is second and USPS is so far in last place I do not consider them in the race. I use USPS to ship handguns and they have never lost those but they have delivered some handguns coming to me to someone else without getting a signature. Fortunately my neighbors are honest and give the packages to me.