Shipping firearms to Alaska?

Schnyd112

i am trying to send a handgun and a rifle to someone in Alaska from the lower 48. I have an ffl that will accept the package, but he tells me I have to send from an ffl to him.

Is this Law or is it an Alaska ffl trying to be cautious? I have sent firearms to the lower 48 from myself to an ffl, second day, without an issue. Aside from price, is it different to send firearms to Alaska than the Lowe 48?

No difference. Just the preference of that particular FFL holder. It's a second check on the firearm and limits the liability the Alaskan FFL holds and places the burden on the (B) FFL that you surrender the weapons to. So, the receipt of custody passes from you to FFL B, where the firearm is logged and should be checked. FFL B, ships to FFL A> documented federal licensee to licensee. Lastly, FFL A, will transfer from their license to the individual end user. Just a cover for the receiving FFL A, but there is no law directing this is the way it must be handled.

Forgot to mention, no handguns ship through USPS. So, you'd have to mail through an independent carrier.
non licensee to non licensee, same state only
non licensee to self, any state
non licensee to licensee, any state

where in Alaska? if anchorage, give the guys at gun runners a call. I always used them when receiving up there. they're kinda weird, but the easiest to deal with. otherwise, wiggy's alaska is another good one in anchorage

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts