Shipping Container or Something Else?

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We really need extra storage or have to give away a lot of things. Since we devoted our 2,500sqft basement into our GS Shop I still have items to store and have two bays in the garage filled and have equipment sitting outside covered with tarps.
We were going to buy a used shipping container a few years ago and now they are going up in price. 40' is too big for where I would put it on our property and 20' doesn't seem big enough (30' would be perfect). Don't want to build something, already can't do a lot of things I used to do and behind on every project. Can get a 20' for around $2,500 delivered (four years ago it was $1,400). Anyone have any ideas also if you have a container what base/foundation did you use?
Thanks much
Len & Jill

Check your building codes-- in several areas around here, you have to have a slab foundation and a permit for "permanent use" of a shipping container--- other areas they don't require anything.

40 footers run about 4k delivered in my area now and I'd have to pull permits and pour a slab--- it's not economical in my area anymore-- I wish I had done it 10 years ago before the codes changed

Check your building codes-- in several areas around here, you have to have a slab foundation and a permit for "permanent use" of a shipping container--- other areas they don't require anything.

40 footers run about 4k delivered in my area now and I'd have to pull permits and pour a slab--- it's not economical in my area anymore-- I wish I had done it 10 years ago before the codes changed
Thanks
We like out in the Country/Woods so don't know about a slab, but will check if we get one.
Could have got one for almost 1/2 the cost several years ago.

I've set more than a few on construction sites.
I would use gravel (unless local code dictates otherwise) and make sure that whatever base that you use is graded level and then take care to ensure that the container is setting level with door openings plumb. Those doors can be a PIA if the container is racked. All obvious stuff but just worth mentioning.
Good luck

Can you put it on a concrete block perimeter wall with a few pillars or maybe up on pilings every 5' and getv around them. Maybe shrubs to camo what it is or vinyl siding.

My only problem is that I am as Pack Rat. They way I grew up we never threw anything away if it might be repurposed later on.
So the more space the more items to store.

My depression era parents pounded that kind of saving stuff too. I still have bolts and screws from my first car 50 years ago. Why do I do that, lol?