Shipping barrelled actions, full rifles.

clemens

In this lovely atmosphere of chaos mayhem and general well you all understand. How in boot hill does one send a barreled action to a stock manufacturer in a hard case, and be able to keep it closed ( sealed if that is possible) and hopefully keep grubby little thieves out of it?

I use 6" x 6" or 8" x 8" x however long I need for the outer layer. I use cheap, less than $5 locally, U-Haul moving blankets to wrap the rifle or action up. I unfold the blanket and place the rifle or barrelled action on the closest edge centered from side to side and roll up 3 to 4 times and then fold the the ends in like a burrito, finish rolling it up. Seal one end of the box, place the action or rifle in the box to figure out the length needed. Cut the corners to allow the box to fold closed as normal, trim off the excess, remove the burrito, cut the excess pieces to fit inside each end to reinforce the package, throw a few in the bottom, put the burrito in the box, throw a few excess pieces on top and seal it up. Use good heavy duty packing tape and seal it up tight, it's almost idiot proof at this point.

blanket.jpg

Last edited:
C, we always try to make the shipping container not look like it's a gun. The muzzle needs extra attention. Many a muzzle have punched through a box if not padded correctly.

I like to ship barreled actions in a PVC tube, pack it hard on both ends and I sandwich the trigger between two pieces of thin board, the trigger getting broken is super common with barreled actions getting shipped.

The stock manufacturer said on web sight that they wanted it shipped in hard case. Finding cardboard to put around case would make sense as long as its shipped back same way. I have heard and read of barreled actions being sent in capped PVC pipe. Wrapping contents in bubble wrap.

I bought this Plano arrow case to ship my barreled actions in.
Then I went to Walmart and bought a foam mattress topper for about $8 and cut it to fit the inside of the case. I think you could fit at least a 26" barreled action in there. Box it up and ship it. It's short enough it doesn't scream "Gun in here!" Here's a photo of my tikka barreled action with my Proof barrel before I sent it off to LRI for the barrel swap.
AB7B1FAC-AFF6-487E-B947-4EF7E7D0C117.jpeg

I use 6" x 6" or 8" x 8" x however long I need for the outer layer. I use cheap, less than $5 locally, U-Haul moving blankets to wrap the rifle or action up. I unfold the blanket and place the rifle or barrelled action on the closest edge centered from side to side and roll up 3 to 4 times and then fold the the ends in like a burrito, finish rolling it up. Seal one end of the box, place the action or rifle in the box to figure out the length needed. Cut the corners to allow the box to fold closed as normal, trim off the excess, remove the burrito, cut the excess pieces to fit inside each end to reinforce the package, throw a few in the bottom, put the burrito in the box, throw a few excess pieces on top and seal it up. Use good heavy duty packing tape and seal it up tight, it's almost idiot proof at this point.

View attachment 214359
Have also seen moving blankets at Harbor Freight for less than $5. As stated in these posts wrap well, secure and disguise the package so it does not look like firearm.

I use these. They come in various sizes and a double box is bulletproof. Since using these have never had damage. ALWAYS insure for full value !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.