Shilen Ratchet Rifling

PApa Black

Has anyone used a Shilen barrel with 4 grove Ratchet rifling? I'm gathering data on pre threaded and chambered barrels for a Rem 700 short action rifle. I have a trashed out .308 barrel and plan on replacing it with a 6.5CM barrel to shoot the 140gr VLD?

Has anyone used a Shilen barrel with 4 grove Ratchet rifling? I'm gathering data on pre threaded and chambered barrels for a Rem 700 short action rifle. I have a trashed out .308 barrel and plan on replacing it with a 6.5CM barrel to shoot the 140gr VLD?
They seem to shoot well. My dad has a savage prefit with a shilen ratchet rifling 7.5 twist chambered in 22-250 AI. The rifle shoots very well.

Tah
They seem to shoot well. My dad has a savage prefit with a shilen ratchet rifling 7.5 twist chambered in 22-250 AI. The rifle shoots very well.
Thanks, how is that rifling on copper and fowling? I want a 1:7" twist for the 140gr VLD but they only offer iot in 1:8" twist.

Tah

Thanks, how is that rifling on copper and fowling? I want a 1:7" twist for the 140gr VLD but they only offer iot in 1:8" twist.
I'm not sure on the fouling to be perfectly honest. It didnt seem like it fouled very much but I haven't personally cleaned it. An 8 twist is more than enough for the 140. If you planned on the 150 smk then I'd reccomend a criterion with a 7.5 twist.

I'm not sure on the fouling to be perfectly honest. It didnt seem like it fouled very much but I haven't personally cleaned it. An 8 twist is more than enough for the 140. If you planned on the 150 smk then I'd reccomend a criterion with a 7.5 twist.
WOW! Thanks! That just solved my problem / quandary!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.