Shilen Barrels

dakor

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? From what I heard they did better at Camp Perry then Lilja or Heart. Does anyone know if this is true? I was also told that Shilen makes a very fast barrel. The caliber I want to build is a 300win with a 28 inch tube and a 10 twist.

well,I have a shilen sel.match barrel on my 300 and I have just over 3400 rounds and it is still shooting in the mid 0.4's as for camp perry I have heard that also.

I will be replacing the barrel on my rifle with a nother Sel.Match and I have lots of friends that have had the same with there shilens barrels.

Mine is in a 1-12 twist and it loves the 168XXX barnes and the XBT 165gr.

300Shooter

Shilen,Hart,Broughton,Lilja,K&P,Chanyln,Pac-Nor,(the old black star barrels)are some of the barrels that I have on rifles. Krieger,Spencer, and Schneider are afew more that are pretty good. I've always gotten SS select match grade barrels except one Douglas and Wise-McMillian which are CM. I wouldn't buy a barrel just because it winning somewhere I kind of look at the company and product. Shilen makes a pretty good barrel. You might want to look at the Broughton 5c barrel you will gain alittle more velocity you can pull up there web site and my next project will be a 300wby with their 5c barrel. I gave up on trying to get a Obermeyer barrel. Well good luck

I know that the match winner in the long range (out to 1000 yards) agg was shooting a Schneider barrel as always.

I've had one shilen on a service rifle and it shot very well. Not any better or worse than any of the Krieger, Blackstar, or Pac NOr barrels though. My experience with Douglas was very much less than satisfactory.

But you have to be careful of what all you put into the thought train. Often what wins at Benchrest, doesn't at Highpower etc... There are slightly different needs between our sports.

Pick any proven barrel for a hunting rifle and you should be fine. If you are extreme about .1 type groups go look at the benchrest results in PS mag to see the barrels used mostly. But be aware that the smith makes as much or more difference than barrel brand.

As to 5C giving more velocity, I have seen that in all 3 and 5 twist barrels. Not just c or r etc.... So I dont' think thats reliant on just one maker, but simply the way the bullets react to the odd number of grooves and lands.

Jeff

If my sources are right, Schneider barrels won right at half of the matches at Camp Perry this year. But next year, Broughton could win 'em all or Rock or Douglas.
It's not about what barrel wins what match. It about who can turn out barrels the most consistently and IF you get a bad one, do they stand 100% behind it without giving you the run around. Food for thought....

I had a Shilen SS match chembered in 22-250 and it seemed to foul out alot faster than a cheap SS Pac-Nor 3 groove , and the Pac-Nor gives me higher velocities despite it being a faster twist , the Shilen was a 1-12 and the Pac-nor is a 1-10

Chris , a question on Mike Rocks barrels , I have one that 28" 1-11.25 twist and currently chambered in 30-06 , what do you think is the fastest realistic velocity that could be reached with a 175gr bullet?
I ask because I'm thinking about rechambering it to a bit 30 mag

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.