• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Shilen .222 switch barrel for savage

fabricator21

Shilen select match.
#7 Heavy varmint contour.
Stainless steel.
Savage small shank.
Switch barrel (no barrel nut needed)
27 3/4" long.
14 twist
Includes recoil lug

Fired less than 300 rounds.
Shoots extremely well with 50 grain ballistic tip bullets

Barrel only
$275 delivered

I also have guages, brass, bullets, redding dies and hornady modified case if someone wanted to make a package deal

IMG_0860.JPG

Last edited:
Can you elaborate how it doesn't need a barrel nut? How is the barrel tightened and headspace set? You said it shoots well with 50gr bullets, do you have any targets?

Can you elaborate how it doesn't need a barrel nut? How is the barrel tightened and headspace set? You said it shoots well with 50gr bullets, do you have any targets?
It is done just like a remington. The barrel tightens on a shoulder cut in the barrel shank, the headspace is set by the chamber being cut to a specific measurement

Last edited:
So it just tightens down into the recoil lug/receiver? I'm assuming that you need to set headspace initially somehow? Sorry for the questions, but I'm not familiar with how this works.

So it just tightens down into the recoil lug/receiver? I'm assuming that you need to set headspace initially somehow? Sorry for the questions, but I'm not familiar with how this works.

Correct. The gunsmith sets the headspace before the barrel comes out of the lathe. The barrel is then tightened on the action and headspace is verified with go and no go gauges

So how does it work swapping between actions?
Headspace should always be re checked. I have seen a number of barrels swapped to different actions without a problem as long as the same recoil lug is used.
I do have gauges, brass, bullets, redding dies and hornady modified case if someone wanted a package deal