Sherman wildcat stuff!

I'm chomping at the bit hoping to get my 6.5 Sherman build underway in about 4 months....

I just ordered a Manners T2A and that's what I'm really waiting on.

I'll have my Bartlein barrel ordered soon - I've found a supplier with plenty in stock of the contour I'm interested in running.

Also planning on going with a Stiller Predator for this build. It's my first custom gun and thought why not?

Once I get a few more things lined up, I'll be chatting with Rich and getting in line for the reamer!

Well my 6.5SS build is moving along. I have everything except the stock which should arrive tomorrow via FedEx.
This is what I have for the project rifle.
Remington short action-- will be trued by smith
PT&G bottom metal with Wyatts extended box.
Bolt to be opened .580 with mini 16 extractor installed
Jewel trigger
Broughton barrel 1 in 8, #4 contour, fluted, finished at 24", threaded for a suppressor and melonited
Bell&Carlson Alaskan stock
Ceracoated
Nightforce nsx 5x22x50 NPR-1 zero stop
Nightforce ultralight rings with anti cant on rear ring
Nightforce 20 moa base
Bullets will be tungsten disulfide coated

Thanks to Travis who had a barrel in his shop so I don't have to wait 3 months for one!!!
Now just waiting my turn for the reamer and with Travis in his shop.

Thanks to Rich Sherman for your help and letting me bother you with all the phone calls!

Looks like I jumped the gun. Pun intended.
After talking with Travis some more my build is on hold. My fault not his. :(

Last edited:
I have the 6.5 Sherman. It's an awesome round. It was my first wildcat. I am shooting 140 Bergers sub 1/2 moa consistantly @ 3035. It's a mild load, easy on brass. You won't regret it.

Rich, I hope you move went well, and you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!

Jay

Looks like the Sherman family is growing. Man, I don't know how I'm going to get all you guys in my will:D
Seriously, you guys have ALL been great to work with and don't ever be concerned about calling me too much with questions.
As far as my move goes, I am somewhere around plan D? It now looks as if we may be settling SW of Salt Lake, around Lake Point or Grantsville. I think my phone will still work there though?
Stay tuned for a write up coming soon on the SS by "ONeillOps" on U tube. He has a suppressor rifle build for coyote hunting. He will be covering the smithing, case forming process, and hopefully some dead critters as well as gong shooting...........Rich
p.s. Robert, I have a Remington SA

Wow Rich,

Good luck in the new digs. I was just in that area. Outdoors man paradise? Sure looks good.

I look forward to the article.

Rich, your ss design is going to grow like a wild fire after the Oniellops review... Glad I jumped on mine when I did I bet the list for reamers is going to be a mile long...

I am looking forward to his video. I have seen a few of his hunting ones, and he does a good job. I may offer formed brass when I get resettled. I haven't decided for sure though? Someday, maybe head stamped brass if I can afford the down!:rolleyes:

I am looking forward to his video. I have seen a few of his hunting ones, and he does a good job. I may offer formed brass when I get resettled. I haven't decided for sure though? Someday, maybe head stamped brass if I can afford the down!:rolleyes:

Yeah I have watched a couple of his videos also and I am impressed with them. Head stamped brass would be awesome! I would bet that this cartridge will be popular enough to justify something like that... I sure would pay you for some. From what I have read and seen the brass prep / fire forming is the only thing holding guys back from taking the plunge... Honestly that is the only reason why I debated not building one... Other than that what's not to like about a true sa 6.5mm round pushing 150 vlds around 3150 with good barrel life:D

I would be interested in the 6.5 SS if formed brass was available. It would likely replace my 284 win.

Ok. Sent Travis my parts. Rich will have the reamer sent to him by next week. My build is progressing.
Man it is great to have a guys like Travis and Rich in your corner.
Hopefully I will be giving range reports by late spring.
Workloads, opportunities and excecptions will be the factors in play now.

I thought you guys might like this.........Rich
NOT THE GIRL....that's my daughter
sherman elk shirt.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts