Sherman Wildcat Reloading Data is Here!!!

Apparently Len is having problems replacing the file in the first post. I've sent it to him 3 times and it is going through on my end but it's not working for him I guess. Here is the latest update with all I have been messaged. Thanks to all for the data sent to me.

Attachments

• Sherman Load Data.pdf
    448.7 KB · Views: 1,007
Thinking of converting a Tikka CTR in 308 in a McRee chassis to a 7SAUM but 7SS looks to have some positive physical properties.

Here are my questions and thanks in advance:

The Tikka CTR mags, which are excellent in my opinion, are 2.958 inches inside length. Is it possible to seat just about any 7mm hunting and long range projectile I might choose in that mag length without losing performance in any major way? I've scoured this form for posts and I've only seen two mentions at 2.9" overall length and that was it. I've seen pics on the Sherman web site and FB with 3.1 and 3.2, but that means a completely different chassis and mags.

I realize it will need a magnum bolt and am considering LRI's for that. Wondering if it will fit in the 308 ten round mags with no problems. They are double stack mags so enough room for the cartridge.

Next, what prefit carbon fiber barrel makers keep the reamer handy so I don't have to add two months to production because the barrel maker doesn't have the reamer? I see CarbonSix has the reamer and I favor their build quality but what others? I've worked at a barrel maker here in Wisconsin but they don't make Carbon Fiber barrels and I want this for a hunting rig and long range comp rig if I decide to go that route so the lighter the better but I want the speed of at least 26" and may go longer.

If I can efficiently seat projectiles in the 7SS cartridge without losing performance, I think it might be a better choice than the 7SAUM or a smaller cartridge which I'm considering, the 6GT.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you considered 6.5 PRC? I love the Sherma's, but 6.5 PRC seems like a great match to your desires.

Have you considered 6.5 PRC? I love the Sherma's, but 6.5 PRC seems like a great match to your desires.
I have not. Didn't even think it would fit in the mags. I'm attempting to keep the rig together without changing out anything other than the barrel and bolt if possible.

I have not. Didn't even think it would fit in the mags. I'm attempting to keep the rig together without changing out anything other than the barrel and bolt if possible.
Well, that was kind of my point. I think diameter is slightly smaller with the PRC …..and length shorter, like 2.83-2.95 with long bullets.

Thinking of converting a Tikka CTR in 308 in a McRee chassis to a 7SAUM but 7SS looks to have some positive physical properties.

Here are my questions and thanks in advance:

The Tikka CTR mags, which are excellent in my opinion, are 2.958 inches inside length. Is it possible to seat just about any 7mm hunting and long range projectile I might choose in that mag length without losing performance in any major way? I've scoured this form for posts and I've only seen two mentions at 2.9" overall length and that was it. I've seen pics on the Sherman web site and FB with 3.1 and 3.2, but that means a completely different chassis and mags.

I realize it will need a magnum bolt and am considering LRI's for that. Wondering if it will fit in the 308 ten round mags with no problems. They are double stack mags so enough room for the cartridge.

Next, what prefit carbon fiber barrel makers keep the reamer handy so I don't have to add two months to production because the barrel maker doesn't have the reamer? I see CarbonSix has the reamer and I favor their build quality but what others? I've worked at a barrel maker here in Wisconsin but they don't make Carbon Fiber barrels and I want this for a hunting rig and long range comp rig if I decide to go that route so the lighter the better but I want the speed of at least 26" and may go longer.

If I can efficiently seat projectiles in the 7SS cartridge without losing performance, I think it might be a better choice than the 7SAUM or a smaller cartridge which I'm considering, the 6GT.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
The SS will fit in a .308 magazine with most bullets at you mag length. Obviously longer bullets will seat deeper cutting into the powder capacity a little.

Magazine capacity will obviously be reduced because the SS is larger diameter. Most guys running short magnums in comps utilize magazine extensions for capacity.

The feed lips will almost certainly need to be adjusted. Easy when using a metal magazine.

As for caliber choice/task....there is a huge difference between a 6GT and a 7SS. The 7SS will be better for bigger animals at longer ranges, the 6GT will be better for the zero recoil/heavy gun game of long range competitions like most PRS type matches where 20lb guns are normal. NRL hunter series is I believe limited to 12lbs packages. Neither caliber is good for real ELR but if considering something like the Nightforce ELR matches with Scott Satterlee, the 7SS is a better choice.

A best of both worlds would be a 6SS to run lightweight bullets soft for competion with a weight system on the chassis, run heavies for longer range and drop the weights for hunting.

Personally, I would get 2 barrels. One chambered and profiled heavier for competion and the other CF chambered for hunting. I run a 26" mecium palma Bartlein SS 6.5 Creedmoor and a 26" Proof CF 7SS. Both laser beam barrels chambered by Patriot Valley Arms for my Bighorn TL3. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the Proof much shorter for backpack hunting with a suppressor. I love the 7SS for wind cheating so much and have grown disinterested in the heavy/zero recoil game I am planning to run my SS under NRL Hunter rules and not play for points, just compete against myself for hunting practice.

Long story short, you might want to do some soul searching as to what task it really is you want want this tool to do for you. A Leatherman multitool doesn't make the best hammer or screwdriver. What style/game of hunting are you anticipating? Wisconsin whitetail...weight doesn't matter. What kind of "long range competition" are you anticipating? Goofing off with your buddies or a structured match?

What's the most temperature stable powder that still provides reasonable velocities with the 180-190 class bullets in the 7SS? RL26 isn't fun in Texas heat after a cool morning, so while velocity is great, the swings (and blown primers) are not. I'm after accuracy nodes, not maximum velocity. It'll be a 20" barrel, in case it matters.

What's the most temperature stable powder that still provides reasonable velocities with the 180-190 class bullets in the 7SS? RL26 isn't fun in Texas heat after a cool morning, so while velocity is great, the swings (and blown primers) are not. I'm after accuracy nodes, not maximum velocity. It'll be a 20" barrel, in case it matters.
I'm shooting the same thing in Texas with the same barrel length lol. I'm thinking N565 if I can ever find it. Right now I'm working on loads with N560 with the 168's

I'm shooting the same thing in Texas with the same barrel length lol. I'm thinking N565 if I can ever find it. Right now I'm working on loads with N560 with the 168's
Hah! Let me know if you figure out anything. I definitely plan on running the 180s and up, but passed on the latest shipment yesterday of RL26 because the temperature swings kill it for me. I'm also looking at N565, as it is supposedly very temperature stable. I'm just curious if that holds true in this cartridge, and with higher temperature extremes. RL26 is great until you hit mid-80s, and by the time you get into 90s, everything falls apart.

Last edited:
Hah! Let me know if you figure out anything. I definitely plan on running the 180s and up, but passed on the latest shipment yesterday of RL26 because the temperature swings kill it for me. I'm also looking at N565, as it is supposedly very temperature stable. I'm just curious if that holds true in this cartridge, and with higher temperature extremes. RL26 is great until you hit mid-80s, and by the time you get into 90s, everything falls apart.
Trust me I feel your pain. I had swings of 150fps the other day with RL26. When it got over 85* the velocity with through the roof

So looking at the data has nobody tried rl26 in a 30 Sherman?
I'm loading the 214 hammers
And all load data for the PRC says 26 but if reading that data sheet right seems everyone is using rl33.
26" tube. What's your thoughts I have on plenty of both.

RL23, N565, H1000, Retumbo. N570 doesn't seem to be able to get enough powder to get the speeds I want in an SS case.