Sherman Wildcat Reloading Data is Here!!!

Just ordered my barrel today for my 7ss. This is my first in the Sherman line. This will be for my pack rifle. I ordered my barrel from carbon six in 18" with a 1-9 twist (I like to hunt suppressed). My question is I don't see many guys shooting anything in the 160's with their 7ss ( Berger 168's or 162 ELD's. These are very popular with the 7 saum, Is it just not worth dropping down over the 180s? Keep in mind the short barrel

Just ordered my barrel today for my 7ss. This is my first in the Sherman line. This will be for my pack rifle. I ordered my barrel from carbon six in 18" with a 1-9 twist (I like to hunt suppressed). My question is I don't see many guys shooting anything in the 160's with their 7ss ( Berger 168's or 162 ELD's. These are very popular with the 7 saum, Is it just not worth dropping down over the 180s? Keep in mind the short barrel

Depends on the purpose of your rifle and distance being shot at. I built my 7saum for mountain hunts, so don't expect many shots beyond 400 yards. So I chose 140grain copper bullets. After running the numbers for the Saum, the 160 class bullets didn't start making sense to me until 500-600+ yards, and the 180's were a few hundred yards beyond that. The same theory worked for my 338ss, but my 6.5ss is for 750+yards, so I happily use the longest bullets.

Depends on the purpose of your rifle and distance being shot at. I built my 7saum for mountain hunts, so don't expect many shots beyond 400 yards. So I chose 140grain copper bullets. After running the numbers for the Saum, the 160 class bullets didn't start making sense to me until 500-600+ yards, and the 180's were a few hundred yards beyond that. The same theory worked for my 338ss, but my 6.5ss is for 750+yards, so I happily use the longest bullets.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm fairly confident I'm going to shoot the 168's. I'm just surprised not to hear anyone shooting it

Yeah that makes sense. I'm fairly confident I'm going to shoot the 168's. I'm just surprised not to hear anyone shooting it
I think more people shot them in the saum partly because of short action mag length limitation. the beauty of the SS is, it was designed for heavier bullets in a short action. That said, It will shoot the lighter ones just fine if you choose.

I think more people shot them in the saum partly because of short action mag length limitation. the beauty of the SS is, it was designed for heavier bullets in a short action. That said, It will shoot the lighter ones just fine if you choose.
Thank you Rich. Any idea on velocity's with 168 Berger and 180 hybrid out of an 18" with RL26? With components hard so hard to find right now I'm trying to get everything I need. I should be testing loads by September

Thank you Rich. Any idea on velocity's with 168 Berger and 180 hybrid out of an 18" with RL26? With components hard so hard to find right now I'm trying to get everything I need. I should be testing loads by September
a 20" barrel and rl26 will get a 175 berger to 2850fps easily, never went higher and no pressure signs at all, so I could go higher, but don't know how much.

the velocity drops off faster from 20-18 as does 22-20 but a 20" should run a 168 gr past 2900