Sherman Wildcat Reloading Data is Here!!!

Action is here. Short action. MAG BF.
Torn between a 7SS and 7SST. Anyone give me a reason for one or the other?

Attachments

• 1B8E87B7-B59F-4109-BECA-73A127F9E02F.jpeg
    1B8E87B7-B59F-4109-BECA-73A127F9E02F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
Action is here. Short action. MAG BF.
Torn between a 7SS and 7SST. Anyone give me a reason for one or the other?
may be better placed in one of the threads on the 7SS/7SST instead of the more general reloading thread :)

may be better placed in one of the threads on the 7SS/7SST instead of the more general reloading thread :)

thanks just posted there also.

Since you specified the Tikka, there is no question I would do the SS. The 280 needs almost 3.6" and the Tikka is 3.4".
Mountain tactical DBM fixes that 3.4" issue out past 3.6"
And if need be you can open up feed ramp a bit to get another .150"

I ordered some 7 max brass, when it arrived today, it was 6.5 brass. I have a 7mm expander mandrel, so I could neck them up. My question is, as I have no new, unfired 7 max brass to measure, will the neck wall thickness be different after running the expander mandrel? I don't mind the extra step to save the shipping of the brass, but I don't want to buy another neck bushing. If I think about this I could probably answer my own question... tomorrow... but it's been a LONG week ALREADY and I have 7 more days of work before I can tinker with it.

I ordered some 7 max brass, when it arrived today, it was 6.5 brass. I have a 7mm expander mandrel, so I could neck them up. My question is, as I have no new, unfired 7 max brass to measure, will the neck wall thickness be different after running the expander mandrel? I don't mind the extra step to save the shipping of the brass, but I don't want to buy another neck bushing. If I think about this I could probably answer my own question... tomorrow... but it's been a LONG week ALREADY and I have 7 more days of work before I can tinker with it.

Talk to rich. When I ordered mine is was a 7 saum head stamped Sherman max. He's a really nice guy. I'm sure he'll make things right. I Still need to fire form but I'm still waiting for my gun.

Hi All,

I am from Australia and this cartridge 6mm SST has struck me as a perfect choice for long range feral dog hunting. A Berger 108g elite hunter at 3200fps without high pressures sounds perfect for dogs out to 500 yards. Some of the feral dogs we get in Aus crossbreed with large domestic dogs and stray pig hunting dogs and can be quite heavy. Also it is very flat and shots can be long.

Out here it is difficult to get custom brass and most stuff is imported from the US. What might not seem logical to you guys on a cost basis becomes viable out here because of the exchange rate and the scarcity. Ie we have loads of 308 and 223 out here and then the variety dwindles fast. Also I really enjoy reloading and I now have a good basic setup I want to try my first wildcat in a custom rifle.

I was hoping to find out the exact parent case for this cartridge so I can make brass out of something cheaper, can 7mm Rem SAUM be necked down to make the 6mm SST?

Also can we buy reamers or drawings for reamers for this case and have them shipped to us or emailed?

Are dies available at all? Can they be shipped?

Many thanks for any advice

Dogga

Hi All,

I am from Australia and this cartridge 6mm SST has struck me as a perfect choice for long range feral dog hunting. A Berger 108g elite hunter at 3200fps without high pressures sounds perfect for dogs out to 500 yards. Some of the feral dogs we get in Aus crossbreed with large domestic dogs and stray pig hunting dogs and can be quite heavy. Also it is very flat and shots can be long.

Out here it is difficult to get custom brass and most stuff is imported from the US. What might not seem logical to you guys on a cost basis becomes viable out here because of the exchange rate and the scarcity. Ie we have loads of 308 and 223 out here and then the variety dwindles fast. Also I really enjoy reloading and I now have a good basic setup I want to try my first wildcat in a custom rifle.

I was hoping to find out the exact parent case for this cartridge so I can make brass out of something cheaper, can 7mm Rem SAUM be necked down to make the 6mm SST?

Also can we buy reamers or drawings for reamers for this case and have them shipped to us or emailed?

Are dies available at all? Can they be shipped?

Many thanks for any advice

Dogga
Hi Dogga. The SST has a saum parent but it takes a bit of work to convert it. Dies and reamers are in stock, as is brass, but the brass needs to be shipped through an exporter with an ITAR license. We need to get a Distributer down there. I have shipped there before though

Hi Dogga. The SST has a saum parent but it takes a bit of work to convert it. Dies and reamers are in stock, as is brass, but the brass needs to be shipped through an exporter with an ITAR license. We need to get a Distributer down there. I have shipped there before though

The good news about ITAR is that the regulations loosened up a couple of weeks ago. Countries that are considered friendly with the US can now have certain items shipped without the cost previously associated with it. Brass and bullets are now much easier/cheaper to get from the US.
(Canada, Australia, New Zealand and others)

Hi All

thank you for your replies, unfortunately the ITAR rules have stopped us from buying parts out of the US websites as individuals and forced us to buy products that are brought in by dealers who can be expensive and lack variety. Guns are expensive here. ITAR for Aus is silly for two reasons the first being Aus has very strict gun rules and also the fact that Aus always comes and helps US whenever the shooting starts. We want to buy your guns mate and support US Aus trade, send some troops as well please.

elkaholic

I have since had a very close look at the Sherman website at all the prices and what is available. As I thought the brass will be the issue. The machining tools and the dies etc are just tools and are treated as such when importing. To tell the truth I have been thinking about a firearms or related business for some time now with a web presence. I have recently taken a redundancy due covid 19 and now have the time to play with the idea. The 6SST has the potential to be a very popular bench rest cartridge and if it feeds reliably a hunting cartridge as well. If it can function as both it will be better to survive here. What magazines are you using just 308 size? What are the bolt face specs? I am going to start putting this together to build a gun and test this round. I will need to talk to my Smith also and find out what he wants as well.

Hopefully I can get the cartridge to perform and try to generate some interest in the chambering at some competitions, just reading the numbers and looking the dimensions I think 6SST has some real potential. If not I will just enjoy the the dog hunt with an insane 6mm.

I have sent an email to the Sherman website to find out more.

Thanks

Dogga

Hi All

thank you for your replies, unfortunately the ITAR rules have stopped us from buying parts out of the US websites as individuals and forced us to buy products that are brought in by dealers who can be expensive and lack variety. Guns are expensive here. ITAR for Aus is silly for two reasons the first being Aus has very strict gun rules and also the fact that Aus always comes and helps US whenever the shooting starts. We want to buy your guns mate and support US Aus trade, send some troops as well please.

elkaholic

I have since had a very close look at the Sherman website at all the prices and what is available. As I thought the brass will be the issue. The machining tools and the dies etc are just tools and are treated as such when importing. To tell the truth I have been thinking about a firearms or related business for some time now with a web presence. I have recently taken a redundancy due covid 19 and now have the time to play with the idea. The 6SST has the potential to be a very popular bench rest cartridge and if it feeds reliably a hunting cartridge as well. If it can function as both it will be better to survive here. What magazines are you using just 308 size? What are the bolt face specs? I am going to start putting this together to build a gun and test this round. I will need to talk to my Smith also and find out what he wants as well.

Hopefully I can get the cartridge to perform and try to generate some interest in the chambering at some competitions, just reading the numbers and looking the dimensions I think 6SST has some real potential. If not I will just enjoy the the dog hunt with an insane 6mm.

I have sent an email to the Sherman website to find out more.

Thanks

Dogga
Thank you for your interest. I too think it has a lot of potential because it can run a 100 sierra with powders from fast to very slow at speeds over 3300' so you can chose volume or pressure to propel.
The case is a shortened saum with low taper and a long neck which will also help barrel life. I run a 308 AICS box with the feed lips spread and it works flawlessly. You can run any Accurate, Alpha wsm type mag as well.