Sherman wildcat prefit barrels

elkaholic

I am putting this question out there because I have had a few people ask if this would be possible. If there was enough interest, I might try to get a quality smith or two to provide prefit barrels for Savage, Remage, etc. Would most of the interest be in the SS line, the Sherman line, or both?.......Rich

I am putting this question out there because I have had a few people ask if this would be possible. If there was enough interest, I might try to get a quality smith or two to provide prefit barrels for Savage, Remage, etc. Would most of the interest be in the SS line, the Sherman line, or both?.......Rich
Yes. :)
Both but lean towards the SS as most Savage builds tend to be SA because of stock availability and magazine issues.

Yes. :)
Both but lean towards the SS as most Savage builds tend to be SA because of stock availability and magazine issues.

Thx Todd! I actually have a 7SS built on a Model 16 Savage which was originally a 300 WSM. It has a standard Savage DBM and feeds great!
7SS Savage.jpg

Rich,

I want to re-barrel my Rem700 .270. Would the barrels you're referring to work on it?

I have been planning on making my rifle a 7ss when it comes time to rebarrel and was giving serious consideration to trying to do that with a remage nut.

But I am not sure I would do a prefit. I think I would still buy the barrel I wanted and take it to bigngreen and then put it together when it was ready.

But I have not talked to him or any other smith about that so I still have questions about going that route.

Rich, I still need to borrow that .300 Sherman reamer and some dies... How much are they? You can shoot me a PM if you want. :D

And when I get ready to build my next rifle, I'll need a .280 Sherman reamer and dies. :cool:

My 30/375 S.I. would work well on that one or you could change the bolt face and build any of the long action shermans from 6.5 to the new 338 which will come out soon...Rich

It's got a tired old 7mag barrel on it right now.
I'm tagged in to see what comes of this.

SS line for Ruger M77 using Remage type barrel nut system.
-Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.