SHERMAN MEGA LINE

brittf,

Welcome to the forum, I will be following your project progress report on the forum, please keep us posted. I am on the fence as what to rebarrel my 7RM with, the 7 Mega is one of the options.

Hopefully I may see you on the range somewhere when you test your rifle. If your Sensei is at least a 10 point holder in Benchrest Hall of Fame, chances are I may know him if he is in TX. Not very many Hall of Famers in our neck of the woods.

I am right here in Williamson County NW Austin area. Maybe we can compare notes when our projects are both done. Not sure if I read it right that you will be doing the chambering or your Sensei. I will be chambering mine.

Nez Rongero

brittf,

Welcome to the forum, I will be following your project progress report on the forum, please keep us posted. I am on the fence as what to rebarrel my 7RM with, the 7 Mega is one of the options.

Hopefully I may see you on the range somewhere when you test your rifle. If your Sensei is at least a 10 point holder in Benchrest Hall of Fame, chances are I may know him if he is in TX. Not very many Hall of Famers in our neck of the woods.

I am right here in Williamson County NW Austin area. Maybe we can compare notes when our projects are both done. Not sure if I read it right that you will be doing the chambering or your Sensei. I will be chambering mine.

Nez Rongero
Hi Nez,

I would look forward to meeting you and learning. It looks like you are a bit older than me, since I was USMC 1984-88. My Sensei and I tell 'war stories' but nothing happened on my watch while he was in the midst of some ugly stuff a bit over a decade earlier.

I am sure you know Sensei, I just figured that there was no reason to throw around names. I am a rank amateur, although enthusiastic and willing to spend time and money learning. My only saving grace is that I am a Mechanical Engineer and so have at least 'book knowledge'.

I live in Georgetown (also in Williamson county). A bit of a commute to campus in downtown Austin, but I only go to school when I am teaching, and my formal class assignments are in Fall. Let's connect up.

Regards,
brittf

R. Britt Freund

Hi Nez,

I would look forward to meeting you and learning. It looks like you are a bit older than me, since I was USMC 1984-88. My Sensei and I tell 'war stories' but nothing happened on my watch while he was in the midst of some ugly stuff a bit over a decade earlier.

I am sure you know Sensei, I just figured that there was no reason to throw around names. I am a rank amateur, although enthusiastic and willing to spend time and money learning. My only saving grace is that I am a Mechanical Engineer and so have at least 'book knowledge'.

I live in Georgetown (also in Williamson county). A bit of a commute to campus in downtown Austin, but I only go to school when I am teaching, and my formal class assignments are in Fall. Let's connect up.

Regards,
brittf

R. Britt Freund
Whoops, didn't answer your question. Sensei figures that, since I have a decent machine shop and claim to be a competent hobby machinist, I should be able to chamber my own darn barrels :)

He taught me his method of chambering on my 6-Dasher, so for the .308 F/TR and the 7mm Mega, I am on my own. I have built the lathe spider and purchased the floating reamer holder and the long-indicator to dial in the bore. He sent me a bunch of barrel cut-offs to practice on.

This past weekend, we just bedded the 6-Dasher barreled action (Bat-M action, Bartlein SS barrel, Cerus F-Class stock). Wow, I had NO IDEA how much work it is to properly bed an action!!! Will at Cerus said the F-Class stock was 'partially inlet for a Remington Long Action' so I figured it was mostly just mix up some epoxy, bed the sucker, and be done. Boy was I wrong! Sensei did make fun of me for how cautious I was in machining wood, but I figured I couldn't chance messing up an $1800 stock, especially when a replacement would take 18 months (Will is WAY backordered). We spent two full days machining the stock, making and installing his carbon fiber reinforcement pieces, bedding the stock, making the cheek riser (boy, does Sensei HATE adjustable cheek risers), machining the stock for a RAD, machining and installing the RAD, etc...

So, it would be fun to compare notes with you and learn from an expert.

brittf,

Sounds good, bud. When you talk to your Sensei tell him I say Hi. I shot benchrest in the 80s with top dogs in TX, I am sure he was one of them.

We can certainly learn from each other. I would love to be a witness as you chamber your Mega.

Here is my shop, you are welcome to swing by and use any if you have a project that pop up while your lathe is occupied. Not in the business, just a hobbyist.

Nez

Resized_20200329_222205.jpeg
Screenshot_20200401-081448_Photos.jpg
Resized_20170127_091709_145148453913847.jpeg
20161204_224154001.jpeg
Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

brittf,

Sounds good, bud. When you talk to your Sensei tell him I say Hi. I shot benchrest in the 80s with top dogs in TX, I am sure he was one of them.

We can certainly learn from each other. I would love to be a witness as you chamber your Mega.

Here is my shop, you are welcome to swing by and use any if you have a project that pop up while your lathe is occupied. Not in the business, just a hobbyist.

Nez

View attachment 331774View attachment 331775View attachment 331776View attachment 331777View attachment 331778
Wow, nice shop. I started my shop to support a university 'bicycle club' for students who wanted to design and build custom bicycles. I am pretty much completely tooled up for custom bike frames. I have a Precision Matthews lathe (may be the same one in your pictures - the gunsmith lathe made in Taiwan) and a Precision Matthews knee-mill (again, the Taiwan version that is a Bridgeport knock-off).

I will definitely come by and check things out. I am at (512) 415-6938 and in Georgetown, off of HW29 in DB Wood Ranch.

I don't know why, but my biggest 'lathe fear' is threading into a shoulder without a relief groove. Everybody I know uses a relief groove when setting the shoulder for headspace and then threading the barrel tendon. Sensei FORBIDS a relief groove and insists upon threading right up to the shoulder. He can get away with it because he is a former Tool & Die maker from decades ago and has a cool little analog dial on his threading lead screw that he uses to precisely stop the threading. The big analog dial works a LOT better than a digital DRO or trying to watch the handle dial. I don't have one, so I am convinced I will run the tool right into the shoulder. It is kind of like golf - if you VISUALIZE hitting the ball into the water, then into the water it goes :)

So, I have to decide if I am going to follow Sensei's dictum OR ignore it and use a relief groove. I figure he will never know if all he ever sees the barreled action :)

You're on, we can visit for sure. I thread to the shoulder, we chat more about it when we hook up. Let me know when you get your Mega reamer.

Send me a txt message when you have time. I am retired so I can be available just about any day/time.

When you guys get some data let me know so I can add it to the load data page.
If you want to continue the shop talk and keep this thread closer to on track you could pm each other.

^Please! I'm on the fence about ordering a reamer now or waiting, but I don't ream my own.

And enjoyed the TX guys above - I'll be moving down there hopefully late Spring.

^Please! I'm on the fence about ordering a reamer now or waiting, but I don't ream my own.

And enjoyed the TX guys above - I'll be moving down there hopefully late Spring.

Order your reamer and gauge, I will be glad to guide you through the clambering process in my shop. It is not rocket science, you can chamber your own barrel under my supervision.

Last edited:
Order your reamer I will be glad to guide you through the clambering process in my shop.

That is awesome of you, but I don't have a shop - I've got tools to rebuild a motor, but not to do any metalwork! Rich said he wouldn't be renting reamers, so I'd be buying one to send to a smith and make me 2 barrels.