SHERMAN MEGA LINE

Also, Berger is better than most at giving some of their bullet dimension details, but drawing the ogive is fairly challenging. The other bullet manufacturers don't publish much information.

I have Bryan Litz's 'Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets' 3rd Edition, and he gives detailed measurements for hundreds of bullets, including details on the ogive such as radius and Rt/R ratios.

If I don't have information, then I generally buy a small lot of bullets that I am interested in and measure them myself. I have a pretty complete machine shop and metrology tooling.

Wow! Love the CAD drawing.

It is interesting for me to reflect upon my personality and my response to the earlier questions about FB etc...

One thing I despise on forums is when someone posts opinions and digs in their heels and acts like an expert when they are clearly not. I was a bit afraid that I looked like that kind of person when I asked my questions (and asserted that I had spoken with Rich) and then down comes the information that I was incorrect in my assumptions.

In academia, reputation is pretty much everything. I am fairly well-known in my particular area, and so I must be a bit sensitive to this issue :)

My response has perhaps had a bit of defensiveness to it. I could see how someone might say "that Britt guy doesn't know what he is talking about and Rich came down and set him in his place". I know that isn't what Rich intended. He and I have had a number of lengthy and pleasant conversations and shared data and he seems like a great guy. However, I felt an internal need to respond to set the story as correct as I could.

So, in summary, I have drawn scores of very detailed CAD drawings on specific chambers with specific bullets. This includes the various Sherman chamber dimensions as well. I did all of this BEFORE I posted my questions, since I always try to be informed. My specific interest lies in the relationship between chamber design and bullet selection and how they affect bearing engagement in the neck, intrusion in the powder column, COAL, and jump. Part of it is driven by my interest in gas guns (in addition to bolt guns) and the attendant problems that magazine lengths place on those cartridges. The same is true, although to a lesser extent, in bolt action repeaters. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to deal with the terrible lack of standards around bottom metals and magazines. A simple question like "I want to feed a SAUM/WSM based cartridge in an M5 DBM using an AICS-pattern magazine in a Remington 700 clone long-action" should not be complicated. Unfortunately, it IS and there are literally dozens of 'informed' answers that range from "they don't work reliably" to "it is easy, just get a so-and-so magazine and bend the ears until it works." I literally spent 30 minutes talking with the original designer of the M5 Badger Detachable Magazine (he started Badger Ordnance) who worked with Accuracy International to come up with the AICS magazines for the M5 BDM. He flat out said that he doesn't recommend SAUM/WSM based cartridges in such a system.

By the way, the irony of the changing acronym from the original M5 BDM with AICS magazines to the current M5 DBM with AICS-pattern magazines should not be missed. The original design was a REAL Accuracy International magazine coupled with a REAL M5 Badger Detachable Magazine (BDM). The profusion of clones (some of them quite good) now requires us to say AICS-pattern magazine with an M5 Detachable Bottom Magazine (DBM).

That lack of standards, combined with sloppy definitions of critical ideas like 'touch', 'jump', 'jam', freebore, lead(e), throat, COAL, base to ogive, etc... just drive my academic sensibilities nuts :)

Apologies are in order...

I was politely told via a PM that some of my posts were a bit off-topic and maybe it would be better to start a different thread.

I can understand this and will attempt to do so.

Any further posts by me in this forum/thread will be directly related to the Sherman Mega (although I do consider discussions of chamber design and bullet feeding relevant to the discussion).

All the best and, again, sorry if I took the thread off-topic.

On-topic question :)

I am up for the 7mm Mega over the 7mm Max. I am not a huge Hornady die fan, although they will probably do in the interim. Any timeframe on the Micron resizing and seater dies?

Got a nice package of new ADG Mega brass from Rich today.

20220216_132455.jpg
Brass
20220216_161531.jpg
Prepped since I have original reamer before specs were finalized so I had to turn 1-2 thousandths.
20220216_163128.jpg
5 ready to fireform

Just used some pulled nosler 300 grain custom comp jammed .035" since headspace is short .008"+ going from the 30 to 338. Fireformed length 2.141"
Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish fireforming. .

Got my Mega brass yesterday. Doing the 338 Mega. Two quick questions: what shell holder size does it use? Same as 300 WSM? Also looking for Hornady size 12 or 13 expander ball. Anybody know where there are some in stock?

Finished up fire forming my brass today and then cleaned the carbon from the barrel to start shooting full loads. From my previous tests with the shorter brass I had a good idea where to start and this is also where I ended with component shortages and costs. I'm stoked where I ended up for this shorter barrel. No extractor mark or heavy bolt lift. Rl 26 fed 215 adg mega brass 265 LRAB averaged 2792 fps with a barrel just shy of 22" with 4 shots over the magnetospeed and the separate group with out the magnetospeed went into .5" at 118 yards. Pretty sure my cheek weld threw the shot to the right. Definitely going to be taking this on spring bear in hopes of getting my first blood with it.

20220221_190510.jpg20220221_190530.jpg20220221_164016.jpg

Here is some client data sent in today for the 338 MEGA. Remember, ALL rifles are different, as are loaders, but for this set up, it sounds about right. This is the shorter FB, MA reamer and is on a 26" Bartlein 9 twist barrel.
Looks like a very tolerant cartridge to load for. And a thumper!

Recent Posts