Sherman 6.5 SST vs 6.5 Max

Liddy

I am looking to build my first "wildcat" cartridge to exceed the ballistics of the 6.5 PRC. My question is which Sherman Wildcat cartridge would be preferred in 6.5? I currently have a Defiance Rebel short action (2.99 max OAL) and soon to order a Defiance XM action (3.1 OAL). I have built two 6.5 PRC on the XM actions for use with Berger 156 EOL and would like to get more velocity to try to push the 156's toward the 3,100 plus FPS. My question is would the 6.5 SST get me there or do i need to step up to the 6.5 Max??

Liddy

You forgot the 6.5SS. My favorite version of the short action 6.5 Shermans. I have 2 now, had another previously, and am building yet another one.
3100 is doable with the Max. The SST is probably out of gas for those numbers, or really hot. The SS would be on the hotter end, but doable. My 20" 6.5SS can hit 3001 with a near max load of N565. My 26" is 120fps faster that the 20" with exact same loads. But I run the 140s in it specifically for pronghorn/deer. My new 26" 6.5SS is being built for the 156s exclusively to hunt LR deer and up to elk. Hoping for 3100 with them. Should be possible.

As others have mentioned, The SS and Max are the bet choices to run at 3100'. My SST runs up to 3100' and actually shoots well at that speed but its a top load and brass life suffers.

You forgot the 6.5SS. My favorite version of the short action 6.5 Shermans. I have 2 now, had another previously, and am building yet another one.
3100 is doable with the Max. The SST is probably out of gas for those numbers, or really hot. The SS would be on the hotter end, but doable. My 20" 6.5SS can hit 3001 with a near max load of N565. My 26" is 120fps faster that the 20" with exact same loads. But I run the 140s in it specifically for pronghorn/deer. My new 26" 6.5SS is being built for the 156s exclusively to hunt LR deer and up to elk. Hoping for 3100 with them. Should be possible.
Lance, I have read and others have said there are "feeding" inconsistencies with the 6.5 SS BDL set up, I plan on running a Hawkins BDL should I do the build on the short action, are you running a DBM or BDL set up? If you are running BDL which Wyatts magazine are you running in your SS?
Additionally I plan to run either a Proof CF or Benchmark CF at 24" for comparison of others previously noted.

Liddy

Lance, I have read and others have said there are "feeding" inconsistencies with the 6.5 SS BDL set up, I plan on running a Hawkins BDL should I do the build on the short action, are you running a DBM or BDL set up? If you are running BDL which Wyatts magazine are you running in your SS?
Additionally I plan to run either a Proof CF or Benchmark CF at 24" for comparison of others previously noted.

Liddy
I have two 6.5SSs with BDL, and had another previously. Not a bit of feeding issues with any of them. Smooth as silk.
I am running the Wyatt's 2.995" CF extended box and follower in both. One is a factory R700 SA BDL bottom metal (2+1), the other is a PT&G Oberndorf Canoe style BDL (3+1).

gonna have to run the 6.5 max to get the 3100 you are after. here is my work up with 6.5 max with 156eol and n570. It will get to 3100 with plenty to spare
shermanmax.jpg

gonna have to run the 6.5 max to get the 3100 you are after. here is my work up with 6.5 max with 156eol and n570. It will get to 3100 with plenty to spare

rockwallraider, can you tell me where your rifle settle out then for a final load? I'm considering a 6.5 Max build with a 24" Bartlein and would be glad to here what components and barrel length you're running. Thanks in advance.

To the OP, I don't think you'll regret going with the extra horsepower of the Max if this is a dedicated hunting rifle. For PRS, maybe another discussion. Thanks for the thread - it's given me some info I was looking for.