Shelf life

retiredcpo

What are your thoughts on the shelf life of the Ammo you have loaded?
How long can you leave them on the slef and still be safe to shoot
retiredcpo

Well, I just touched off 2 boxes of 45 Colt that my uncle bought about as many years ago and everyone ignited just fine if that gives you any indication...... :)

My take is so long as it's sealed in a cartridge (or in a container) powder is viable so long as there is no contact with air and/or humidity.

As an aside, I buy my reloading powder(s) in large containers and as long as they have the proper smell when I open them (I carefully seal them after each use), all is good. Gotta have that vinegar smell......

I have loaded 10 yr. old powder with no issues. Most of my ammo doesn't last too long. I do load large batches for a couple guns but I don't think anything in my cans is over 2yrs. old right now. I think it's in how you store it more than anything else. I use surplus ammo cans of varying sizes and throw in a couple dessicant paks. I've stored 4 flats of shotgun reloads for well over a year in this manner with no issues either. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this too though.

If you see green around the bullet at the neck. Don't shoot it. Other than that, 30 years
in cardboard and in the house, a lifetime if it's in a sealed container and dry environment.

I have some 338 CJMK's that I shoot out of a 15 inch barreled Rem. XP 100 that was built by JD Jones. I used it back in Ohio to compete in pistol metallic silhouette. That was 30 yrs ago and I was just shooting some a couple weeks ago.
I also have some 223's that I loaded back in Nov. of 82 that still shoot great.
I keep my primers and powder in the metal 50 cal GI ammo cans. They have an airtight seal.
Tarey

I have ammo headstamped 1963 that still shoots just fine. Store it properly and it'll last as long as you do.

Lets see, in '63 I was 14 and thought I knew it all..... I didn't.

In retrospect, my 'shelf life' and my ammunition shelf life are 2 entirely different animals... I'll be in the ground but my handloads will still be viable.....

I still don't know squat. Just ask my wife......

Little humor here......:D

If it is stored properly in something like a military ammo can air tight and kept at a relative mild temp the shelf life should be well in excess of your life time. I have some WWII era ammo that shoots just fine and it was not stored the best in the world. I have been shooting IMR 4895 powder that was pulled down from military ammo made in the late 50s to early 60s and it chrnos with in a few FPS either way as brand new IMR 4895. I have been shooting some CCI pistol primers that I know has to be at least 40 years old that a fellow gave me and they do just as well as new ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.