Sheep mount back.

ramrod79

My 2017 Full curl Bighorn is back I'm please how it turned out. I built the pedistall for this one so it makes it all that much better. This is my third Ram,and by far the most memorable from start to finish.
02D115B1-3806-47AE-8079-ACA538F5AEE8.jpeg 579768BA-F70B-4585-B38B-B2E8309F03A6.jpeg 318B6F34-EB8A-4428-B00D-C0A02AC6631F.jpeg 7EDDA4FE-3BE6-48AB-8BDA-0C964970E33C.jpeg

Yes you are correct that is a bullet hole. The Shot was a steep angle and he was quartering away.
Buck fever took over, and I did not think about the horn hanging down on opposite side. I punched one behind front shoulders and it went straight though him and his horn. Taxidermist wanted to fill it but it's all part of the story so I had him leave as is.

I'm lucky I can sheep hunt out my back door. My grandfather was a sheep hunter as well my dad so it was hard wired into me. Training for sheep requires some good legs and cardio I'm no athlete but I do keep up hiking all year and closer to sheep season I work harder. My stair stepper with alll my gear on really helps me out on the rainy days or early mornings. Depending on what kind of sheep hunting you are doing and for how long will dictate your gear. If your going out for a 10 day back pack hunt good waterproof light gear is in order. I typically get out on 1-3 day outings and use horses so I can pack different.
Good glasses ,Spotter are a must. A gun that you are comfortable shooting is a must. I used to carry light weight rigs but now 9lbs scoped is my comfort gun for long shots.
Good boots , Gators , hiking poles and most important to me is a comfortable pack. I use Mystery Ranch but there are lots out there make sure you get one that you can pack heavy loads for days comfortably.
I'm not sure where you hunt is booked but if it's in a rainy wet area get some goood light weight rain gear.
I think there a lot of good threads on this web site that cover gear and of course everyone is different in what they pack or wish to pack.
Good luck on your hunt,sheep hunting is one of the best hunts you can experience in my opinion.

That's as nice a mount as I've seen, huge fan of the pedistel mounts!!

What is his horn length, I'm going into a unit this year and I'm getting as much info as I can to help spot better rams and all I have is a horn length measurement from previous years rams to go of.

Thank you for the kind words.
This guy has a 35.5 inch curl on long side 35 on shorter side with bullet hole. He's not a monster he scored an even 170 and is 10.5 years old. He doesn't carry his weight all the way through either and is a fairly tight ram.
Although I took this ram with no regrets what so ever I'm so very pleased with him.
Weight is one factor but is not everything.
A horn that sweeps way back of head and a horn drops below the bottom jaw will give you some good horn length and that's where your score comes in is in horn length.
I'll post a picture of a ram that was donated to our local Fish and Game club you will think he's a monster because of weight but he only scores 7 more inches than my ram and that's due to his weight.
You really need some good horn length but in the end it's up to the hunter to decide as I feel all rams taken are trophies no matter the size.

Here is the donated ram for reference he scored 177 5/8 very beautifull sheep but tight like mine with more weight so he looks way bigger but it was the weight measurements that made him score better. You need the sweep way back of head and nice and low below the jaw coming up then you know you have some good horn length.
I would have never in a million years passed on this fella I find him beautiful.
I'm not sure if this helps you or not but a couple for reference any way.
Good luck this up coming year.

9C556A18-8F0A-4E0D-BD3B-637F5539E50D.jpeg D5351DA5-C651-4D0E-8905-02AF6F51C758.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts