Sheep/Goat Hunt Rifle

Having a lite rifle for sheep is nice but not necessary. Most guys can lose 10lbs on there Waist line and that will help more than a lite rifle. Your 300wm is more than enough for sheep and anything else you might run into on the way up. Good luck

I have a 300 RUM Christensen Arms carbon fiber barreled "Hunter" that I may part with, should you decide to purchase another rifle for your hunts.

Having a lite rifle for sheep is nice but not necessary. Most guys can lose 10lbs on there Waist line and that will help more than a lite rifle. Your 300wm is more than enough for sheep and anything else you might run into on the way up. Good luck

While true, I hate when folks mention that. The vast majority could reduce weight both places and be even better. Absolutely no correlation...

A 10lb rifle for true mountain hunting is insane. (unless you are one of those that don't need to loose the 10lbs)

I live in sheep country and it also has plenty of goats and I hunt both every year.My rifles are lightweights and none have a barrel longer than 22".I like a short rifle as much or more than a light one.Choose a caliber that fits into these parameters imo.A 7/08,.270, 280 is ideal..You will be happy you did climbing a rock chute at 10, 000 ft.Cheers

While true, I hate when folks mention that. The vast majority could reduce weight both places and be even better. Absolutely no correlation...

A 10lb rifle for true mountain hunting is insane. (unless you are one of those that don't need to loose the 10lbs)

yeah I have to agree with you on that. Personally I wouldn't want anything over 8 lbs. Right now mine is a tikka t3 superlite 7mm rem mag topped with a bushnell 3200 3-9-40 it's bang on 7lbs. When the funds show up I plan on getting somthing lighter was thinking a leupold ultralight that'll drop her in under 7 lbs.

If you want to keep that Ruger M77 but really lighten it up you could put a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel on it as well as a McMillen carbon fiber stock. This route to a mountain rifle is a bit 'spensive but the result will be a great semi-custom rifle.

I think Timney may make a trigger for the M77 which would be far better than the factory trigger. I put one on my inexpensive 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator and it is so good that it actually improved my accuracy.

Eric B.

300 win is my weapon of choice 4 goat hunting this fall with 180 ttsx and a zeiss 4.5x14
a 8.25 pds, figure a way to get the weight down, if your rifle shoots good i would change
the stock to something lighter.
good luck!!!

Going to purchase a goat hunt this year and a sheep hunt for 17. Was planning on using a 300 Win Mag for both. Decided I would have my 300 win mag Sendero action trued and blu printed and re-barreled with something in the #3-#4 contour and fluted. Wanted to drop the weight down to the 8.0 to 9 lb range.

Talked with Boots Obermeyer yesterday about the new barrel and the plan and maybe going to a 300RUM. he suggestion going with a 30-338. Due to recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel.

I am concerned about long range accuracy, but want a killing nock down cartridge as well. i have the reloading equipment. Should I just stick with the 300 win mag or is the 30-338 worth it?
Goat hunting usually implies lots of walking and climbing. A hunting rifle never should be a burden, tiring you out and preventing you to go over that next rise where they may be." Killing knock down power" is grossly over rated, the bullet needs to be first of all well placed. Shooting long range in mountainous terrain is extremely difficult due to unknown, unreadable winds high up. Perfect recipe for gut shots and lost wounded animals. Goats are not hard to kill with a .270 or 6.5. similar with well placed shots. Much "bullet resistance " of goats was attributable to slow expanding bullet choices. Remember a goats width of its chest is not very wide. A fast expanding bullet a better choice. A lightweight medium caliber flat shooting rifle in the hands of a fit person, who is willing to climb up where the goats are, is best

RIFLE.jpeg

Were I to ever go sheep hunting here in Nevada this is my "mountain rifle", a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro with Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope W/G3 illuminated small Xmas tree reticle in Talley rings (bubble level in rear ring). I had the scope Cerakoted olive drab. Knife is a Norwegian Helle GT.