Sheep Dream

RH300UM

I just got back from the hunting expo in Salt Lake City..
I won a dall sheep hunt with Bristol Bay Outfitters for 2016!!!!
I have never been this excited about anything before..
A 40 plus year dream is coming true.
Any of you guys got any input or advice? I will be open to all those who have some input to help me out.

That's awesome, I was just talking to Rich and he mentioned you won that sheep hunt, I think I'm going to start trying to get to some of those shows :D

That's awesome, I was just talking to Rich and he mentioned you won that sheep hunt, I think I'm going to start trying to get to some of those shows :D

The 6.5 SS that I am having built will be the perfect rifle for the hunt.
Yes you should go to this expo. Lots of good people. Money goes to conservation.
Make a lot of new friends.
I have been going for 8 years to the hunting expo and it just keeps getting better.

Now is the time to get your boots and start breaking them in. There are many good boot options, Scarpa, Lowa, Hanwag, Kenetreck,… I would recommend trying all to figure out which is best for you. I love my Scarpa wrangell GTX boots, but it took me 6 months to break them in. Also a good time to start training. I am currently researching Stone Sheep outfitters and I totally understand your excitement.

The 6.5 SS that I am having built will be the perfect rifle for the hunt.

How heavy will your rifle be, all decked out with mounts and scope attached? Ask your guide how much hiking and packing you should prepare for on one of his typical sheep hunts, so you'll have an idea of the physical exertion involved.

Be as physically fit as possible, practice on gallon jug sized targets on 20-40 deg. angles as much as possible, and at many different ranges, 50-500 yards. All the best

Now is the time to get your boots and start breaking them in. There are many good boot options, Scarpa, Lowa, Hanwag, Kenetreck,… I would recommend trying all to figure out which is best for you. I love my Scarpa wrangell GTX boots, but it took me 6 months to break them in. Also a good time to start training. I am currently researching Stone Sheep outfitters and I totally understand your excitement.

I have some Kenetreks..Some guides say they have seen these boots ruin peoples feet. I have used them for 5 years now in the mountains with no issues. I am also looking into the Scrapa GTX..

How heavy will your rifle be, all decked out with mounts and scope attached? Ask your guide how much hiking and packing you should prepare for on one of his typical sheep hunts, so you'll have an idea of the physical exertion involved.

Hoping for a 8lbs rig. Should be close to that. It would be lighter but I am set on putting a 5.5x22x50 Nightforce on it..
Travis says it looks out of place on the rifle but my shooting eye needs all the help it can get!!!!

Be as physically fit as possible, practice on gallon jug sized targets on 20-40 deg. angles as much as possible, and at many different ranges, 50-500 yards. All the best

I keep in shape all year but have really stepped up the workouts and hikes now.
Just got my Kuiu 7200 Icon Pro and will be loading it up and using it on my hikes.

Good idea with the jugs. I will be using it..

Congrats on winning that tag......I checked out the Expo for the first time this year and was very impressed. Was that tag for first time Dall sheep hunters only and limited to 6 entries?

That is amazing! congrats again....was hoping someone on here would win something. Looks like all the $5 draws will be posted tomorrow, so maybe you will win another hunt.

Congrats on winning that tag......I checked out the Expo for the first time this year and was very impressed. Was that tag for first time Dall sheep hunters only and limited to 6 entries?

That is amazing! congrats again....was hoping someone on here would win something. Looks like all the $5 draws will be posted tomorrow, so maybe you will win another hunt.
It was unlimited entries and had to be present to win.
It is not the tag I won. It is the guided hunt I won.
I have to buy tags and liecense which is no big deal.

RH300UM you made a comment that Kenetrek boots have ruined sheep hunters feet, can you explain why because I too have a Dall sheep hunt coming up, and I own 2 pairs of Kenetrek boots that I have been hunting and hiking in but have had no issues. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.