Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I do feel like there's some trying to pull the wool over with the name. If it was anti, that's one thing. But it's anTI, which implies titanium when there is none.

That said that action in stainless is lighter than a couple actual titanium actions.

Defiance has always stood fast against making Titanium actions even at the request of many customers so they were having some fun naming their new UL action to oppose Titanium with "anTi" which imho opinion is the very best lightweight action made, I've used six of them and 3 more in the works,
But I will admit they had me fooled into thinking they gave in and built a Ti action when it first came out .

there is no wool too be pulled over anything
lets think about the wording.... anTI !!! what would anti mean in the English language ??? apposed or against or in this case Not titanium or apposed to doing TITANIUM !!!! hell they even use 416 as the start too the serial numbers!!!! THATS STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!
Calm down. Just say what it is.

I do feel like there's some trying to pull the wool over with the name. If it was anti, that's one thing. But it's anTI, which implies titanium when there is none.

That said that action in stainless is lighter than a couple actual titanium actions.
Anyone that spends $1,000+ on an action and gets the wool pulled over their eyes because they didn't pick up on the name, the beginning of the serial number, or actually read anything at all about the action on their site kinda has it coming lol. Though I could see someone that just saw the action at a quick glance and didn't really look into it much think that. But if anyone drops the change on one and thought they were getting a titanium action, it's their own fault ha ha.

But this is all off topic anyway. The anTI and anTI-X is a great option for a lightweight build. When looking at weight, I have seen some titanium actions list a lighter weight by a small margin, but some are without a recoil lug, so that would offset some as well. The anTI/-X has the recoil lug integrated.

Calm down. Just say what it is.
Calm Down Tracy Morgan GIF

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
There is no way around it. You sacrifice accuracy and velocity. Suck it up 6 to 7 pound gun is the best you're gonna do. You'll be ready for the long shot and glad you had it.

There is no way around it. You sacrifice accuracy and velocity. Suck it up 6 to 7 pound gun is the best you're gonna do. You'll be ready for the long shot and glad you had it.
We might actually agree in part there, but aside from this site name some of us actually stalk to within 300 yards of our quarry. We don't deal with wounded animals...wasted ammo, deadheads.
I realize that there are some skilled distant shooters here, but many are not.

I can say that as a former AK resident I've been blessed to kill quite a few rams and billies. Never took a shot over 260 yards nor would I after working so hard to get up in there. Build a 5lb gun and actually hunt/stalk. MHO....
Not going to be a popular opinion at this particular site I'm sure. Meh.

Yes it is. I have a Kimber Subalpine re barreled with a 284 win caliber hart bbl. that I have shot it to 650 on targets holds pretty close to half moa if I do my job, light rifles take practice and finesse to be accurate, but that's any shooters job IMO. It has killed a Antelope at 585 yds.
Yep, it takes max dedication, commitment, and knowing one's UL weapon, dope etc. and those distances are possible.
Personally, It would be irresponsible of me if I took a 650 yard shot at anything. But my 5lb gun flat out shoots to 250. :)

Last edited:
Randy most UL guns should stay under 400 to be ethical. I shoot every week of the year just to try and stay on top of my UL gun. I'm just anal that way. Lol.
Kind of depends on the recoil. My 6.5 fieldcraft with the suppressor on it kicks like a 223. I can spot my own shots through my scope even though that rifle is 6lbs all up scope and all. If you couldn't make a 400 yard shot with it on an appropriate sized game, I'd say you need to go figure out how to shoot before going hunting.

Last edited:
Yes it is. I have a Kimber Subalpine re barreled with a 284 win caliber hart bbl. that I have shot it to 650 on targets holds pretty close to half moa if I do my job, light rifles take practice and finesse to be accurate, but that's any shooters job IMO. It has killed a Antelope at 585 yds.
You said it exactly right. This is where people fall short. Shooting long is a year round process. You must hand load and have1/2 MOA groups for 1000 meter sub moa groups. And you must understand mathematics and the science behind the bullets flight. I tried to keep hunting animals at 6 to 700 m. But I shoot 1000 to 1200 all the time makes you a better shot at 6 to 700 m. A man's got to know his limitations.

How does it perform? What kind of velocities are you finding? I am hunting with a 6.5 PRC right now built on the Deviant Ultra-Light XM with a 26in barrel for a balance of max performance and weight. I built it as a light weight replacement for a 11lb 7mm LRM. It's about 6lb 13oz bare. When my 6.5 barrel dies I might go back to 7mm and the SAUM is one of the possibilities. I am also considering a Sherman 7mm MAX as it will fit nicely in the XM action as well.

It was built by Alamo Precision Rifles and is my personal crown jewel-- Running a cream puff load- 162gr ELDM @ 2850, very little recoil and completely manageable in a ultra package. May push faster but it just plain works as is right now.