Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I just bought a Kimber Montana 8400 WSM to build a 6.5 PRC. I hadn't planned to push the weight that low but it might be fun to try. We're working on some new lightweight bottom metal and this one is to fill that role.

Here is a writeup on a lightweight build compared to stock. Might be some good information in there.

FWIW I think the 8400 WSM is about 8oz heavier than the 84m. I'm very fond of my 84m 6.5CM. Not sure if I want or need the larger 6.5 PRC. We'll see how this one turns out.

There's good advice on pulling weight from other places/gear. Probably a lot more oz per dollar to be had in other places. Also, I worry about what cost some of those last oz bring.

My experience. 6.5mm Rock Creek #2 contour 8 twist, 24". Measures .575" at the muzzle. Rebedded the barreled action. Didn't do anything to try to lighten it up from factory, triggerguard is metal, etc…. 8 lbs 0 oz with S&B PMII 10x42 in Talley LW lows, and 3 rounds.

A2E5A097-32D1-4A7F-AB9C-39836710D72A.jpeg

6.5 caliber anything can be a lite rifle however depending on the location of your hunting on sheep or goats wind at longer ranges and energy you also need to consider as sheep and goats are very tough animals. Yes one though the lungs and done. However where will the be or fall too after the shot. Will need to take out a shoulder to drop them on the spot (maybe). Mag. Cartridge 7mm bullet weights would be the smallest I would go. Many rifles make a single cold bore worm hole. Make sure your only cold bore round is sighted.😀
Good call, but to add to that, calling wind is calling wind no matter what the bullet is, its just math. lol

Make sure the scope and mounting system are bomb proof, worth a little extra weight here. Ultra light is nice but if you spend years hunting and training and sweating and finally get a shot in that gnarly unit, you want your gun to be on and holding zero. A reticle that's you know well should be all you need for shots with a ultralight build I'd think. People scream if you put a heavier scope on an ultralight but if it doesn't hold up, it's ALL wasted.

@TX mountain hunter we get calls like this often, here is a rundown of what we give to our customers:

Mesa Altitude Short Action Stock - 24 ounces
Hawkins Oberndorf Bottom Metal - 5.25 Ounces with all the fixens
Defiance Anti-x SA - 22 Ounces
Triggertech Trigger - 2 ounces
#2 16.5 fluted benchmark SS barrel - 37 ish ounces (less after threading/chambering)

Total weight rigged up: 90.25 ounces or 5.64 pounds Figure you might lose a bit after fitting of barrel.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 in a set of talleys keeps you south of that 6.5 pound markthe defiance were subbed out for a Remington action (or a clone), what would the weight add be?
@TX mountain hunter we get calls like this often, here is a rundown of what we give to our customers:

Mesa Altitude Short Action Stock - 24 ounces
Hawkins Oberndorf Bottom Metal - 5.25 Ounces with all the fixens
Defiance Anti-x SA - 22 Ounces
Triggertech Trigger - 2 ounces
#2 16.5 fluted benchmark SS barrel - 37 ish ounces (less after threading/chambering)

Total weight rigged up: 90.25 ounces or 5.64 pounds Figure you might lose a bit after fitting of barrel.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 in a set of talleys keeps you south of that 6.5 pound mark.
What would this cost just in components?

What would the savings be to substitute a R700 (or clone) for the defiance? Additional weight for that?

Respectfully lot of BS here, can be done and reasonably.
Check out Luke Moffat's build at the rokslide. He was sub 4 lbs prescope I believe based on an Kimber ascent platform. I'm a lefty or I'd build one. My 5lb forbes does the job too.

Hell, my wife's Kimber Montana is 4. 13 Ti bolt knob, Ti t.g. .......before swfa 8oz 2-10x32mm scope.

I would look at a Ti action like the anti-x. McMillan ultra-lite Game Warden with a OMR 22" CF barrel in 270 wsm 9T and the new Razor LHT ffp scope.. At attitude, 7500 ft +, any caliber bigger then a 270 wsm will carry 1000#'s of energy to 1000 yards with a .575 g1 bc bullet or better. I would consider the 270 WSM 8T. Why, is because this cartridge does very well with RL16. A farely fast temp stable powder allowing you to kept the barrel shorter and still get a good burn. I'd do a 22" barrel. My 270 wsm hand loads are meek at 3089 fps with a 130 gr vld-h from a 24" barrel, switching to 129 LRX. I just need fast and flat at intermittent distances. You should be able to get a 150 gr to go about 3000 fps even with a 22" barrel.. A 150 gr .277 Berger vld-h has a ok bc .519 and the 150 gr LRAB is .591 g1. Ive talked to the Berger tech, the 170 gr EH needs a LA or single fed. I'd go SA 9T with a 130-150 gr. That combo should be about 6-6.5#'s scoped. My 270 wsm with a 130 gr has killed a cow elk and a few mullies and whitetails all 1 shot. Its kinda too much on deer under 150 yards with a BT or Berger so am switching to a LRX for less meat damage. And to save more weight consider a ADL. The 270 wsm looks like the 6.5 prc's bigger brother side by side. If you must do a 6.5 get a 6.5 sst. It looks like a 270 wsm necked to 6.5.
The anTI-X is not a titanium action, it's all stainless, a very good one though. Also the stock, barrel as well as the optic you listed are all way too heavy to make the target weight.

The anTI-X is not a titanium action, it's all stainless, a very good one though. Also the stock, barrel as well as the optic you listed are all way too heavy to make the target weight.
I do feel like there's some trying to pull the wool over with the name. If it was anti, that's one thing. But it's anTI, which implies titanium when there is none.

That said that action in stainless is lighter than a couple actual titanium actions.

I do feel like there's some trying to pull the wool over with the name. If it was anti, that's one thing. But it's anTI, which implies titanium when there is none.

That said that action in stainless is lighter than a couple actual titanium actions.
there is no wool too be pulled over anything
lets think about the wording.... anTI !!! what would anti mean in the English language ??? apposed or against or in this case Not titanium or apposed to doing TITANIUM !!!! hell they even use 416 as the start too the serial numbers!!!! THATS STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!

there is no wool too be pulled over anything
lets think about the wording.... anTI !!! what would anti mean in the English language ??? apposed or against or in this case Not titanium or apposed to doing TITANIUM !!!! hell they even use 416 as the start too the serial numbers!!!! THATS STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!
Anti Is a prefix and has meaning, but without a word behind it nothing. By purposely capitalizing the T and the I, the symbol for titanium, it sure seems like they're implying titanium.
On their website it's clearly stainless. But you sure wouldn't think that if you saw someone post they used a anTI action.