Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I have a Kimber mountain ascent in 7 rm. wonderful to carry and very accurate for the first 2 shots. Been talking to my smith that I use about changing the barrel out to a better twist to stabilize the heavies, and more consistent strings. Hard to find a barrel as light as the pencil on it, but I may go to a carbon wrapped and a different stock to keep the same weight. Also going to check to see if we can go to 6.5 prc by opening the bolt face...
Carbon wrapped barrel will just add weight. Not that it's horrible, just saying. Can you actually find a lighter stock than the kimber mt ascent?

I just bought a Kimber Montana 8400 WSM to build a 6.5 PRC. I hadn't planned to push the weight that low but it might be fun to try. We're working on some new lightweight bottom metal and this one is to fill that role.

Here is a writeup on a lightweight build compared to stock. Might be some good information in there.

FWIW I think the 8400 WSM is about 8oz heavier than the 84m. I'm very fond of my 84m 6.5CM. Not sure if I want or need the larger 6.5 PRC. We'll see how this one turns out.

There's good advice on pulling weight from other places/gear. Probably a lot more oz per dollar to be had in other places. Also, I worry about what cost some of those last oz bring.

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
Check out the Full Curl from IN-RUT Rifles, Inc.
5lbs with proof research barrel, lightweight and is amazingly accurate!

I think it'd be hard to beat the Mark V Ti in 6.5 RPM or even 280 AI. But I've been contemplating this as well. I was thinking a Pierce Ti action, I'd want to go with a blind mag, some featherweight barrel from someone (I know there's a lot of good companies out there so that's been tough), a carbon stock from manners (again my options are wide open), throw a trigger tech in it and a Leupold on top. It'd be hard to build/have one built for less than the Weatherby. I was also thinking I'd make mine with a 20" barrel and in 7mm-08AI.

Another thought on barrel length. If you end up trimming to 16" or whatever shorter barrel to get PRC to a goal weight, adding back the 6" with a 6.5CM puts the velocity the same in practical terms. I'd rather have the smaller lighter cartridge.

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
Littlest Kimber in 280AI, Talley lightweights, Leupold 6x42.

The only 4 rifles that I can think of that meet the OP's stated weight goals are the Fieldcraft, a Forbes 20 and a Kimber Adirondack or ascent and the Mark V Ti. The first one is unbtainable at the moment. The second and 4th cost pretty much the same, so I'd go Forbes. The Kimbers are the cheapest option.

Everything else that isn't super custom is a lot heavier.

I did look at that kimber. I would have likely pulled the trigger if it was in the PRC. Comparing 150 accubond LR velocities I'd just like the little extra umph with the PRC. Thinking with a terminator TI brake it will be manageable. Hunting the unlimiteds where they are spooky and the gusts were strong and unpredictable so I'd really like to minimize drift and have it just a touch flatter.

Interesting on the fire dot illuminated. I was looking at the non illuminated version at 13.3 oz but assumed illuminated would be significantly more. Pleasant surprise of only 1.2 oz more for illumination.. I wouldn't mind finding a used kimber to rechamber to a PRC with a shorter bbl and a few upgrades similar to the article from earlier in this thread.
If you do a kimber to build a 6.5 prc you will need to go with the 8400 action

6.5 caliber anything can be a lite rifle however depending on the location of your hunting on sheep or goats wind at longer ranges and energy you also need to consider as sheep and goats are very tough animals. Yes one though the lungs and done. However where will the be or fall too after the shot. Will need to take out a shoulder to drop them on the spot (maybe). Mag. Cartridge 7mm bullet weights would be the smallest I would go. Many rifles make a single cold bore worm hole. Make sure your only cold bore round is sighted.😀

I will offer a bit of advice,
Get yourself a Weatherby Backcounty (steel or Ti) in 6.5RPM.(put a Leupold or Swarovski 2.5X10 on it)
Then hit the gym,loose 5-10 lbs off your body you will enjoy your sheep hunt way more because of this than saving 4oz on your rifle.

This is a sub 7 scoped rifle .
The kiplauff route May be the one less traveled for a mountain rifle , but it really really works.
Merkel k3, swaro fixed 10 power mili dot reticle
AACDA8A0-B130-41E0-9EBE-9A1179F79F96.jpeg