Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

Here you go_One of the most accurate light weight custom Rifles made period.Link below:
I have one of Melvin's rifles in .270 with a #2 contour, it's a rock star hammer! Plenty light but enough weight out front to make hits at range in the mountains.

Weatherby claims 4,7 lbs for the new BackCountry Ti 2.0
Get that in 6.5 RPM and a 13oz scope ,40z Tally rings and you are good to go
BTW I am getting over 3100 FPS with 142gr Accubond LRs with mine.
Which is just the steel one ($1000 cheaper than a Ti)

You may want to talk with Melvin at NULA.
I second this. He's built an entire business solely for this purpose. My NULA in 300 Win Mag with scope weighs 7 lbs 0 oz, but that's because it has a 26" barrel that he absolutely tried to steer me clear of but did for me anyway. Dropping to a more traditional 24" barrel saves 10 oz on a build specifically from him, partly due to the length, then partly due to the larger barrel contour he had to go to for the longer design. Finally, dropping from the Model 28 at 3.38" long to the Model 28S at 3.00" in length for the 6.5 PRC saves another four oz. This puts you right in the wheelhouse you're looking for. You can drive a truck on his stock even though it's only 15 oz. This is a complete system as well, balanced perfectly in the hands.

You can drive a truck on his stock even though it's only 15 oz.
You actually weigh it? I owned 4 of his rifles and none weighed less than 25 oz…His std 270/280 model with a 24" #2 will weigh exactly 5.75lbs bare….
Nice rifles but not ultralight

1. Thank you for many of with your positive comments towards helping me get to where I'm aiming.

2 Thank you to the grouchy old geezers for the reminder of how I do not want to act when I grow old or at least more experienced (no offense intended whatsoever to the older guys who've been very helpful).

3. And thank you for those who gave some positive thought provoking ideas for change of direction.

For those in group two.. Getting to where I'm starting takes > 5000' of gain and double digit miles. The longer and harder I hunt the better the odds of getting the amazing experience of packing one out, which are already stacked somewhere around 2% success per year. As I'll likely never draw or have the money to buy a bighorn hunt, to get a sheep will likely take hundreds or thousands of miles, and years of persistence and learning. The way I see it every pound gives me either an extra day or every ounce that extra bit of energy to get to that next glassing point. Per your recommendations on preparation, I did lean up 25+ lb already and am training year round to accomplish this goal.

Great comments by all, keep them coming! 😃

You actually weigh it? I owned 4 of his rifles and none weighed less than 25 oz…His std 270/280 model with a 24" #2 will weigh exactly 5.75lbs bare….
Nice rifles but not ultralight
I have not weighed just the stock. Just going by what he's told me at 15 oz. I'm wondering if the weight you're seeing is after he's bedded the rifle. That seems high though. Maybe the weight is without the recoil pad. I can only spitball why the difference from what you've seen. Not sure, but I did weigh my finished rifle on a scale sensitive to plus or minus 1 oz.

One more thing. I believe the contours for the 30 cal rifles are the same as that for 270-280. If that's true, the 30 cal will be lighter in general.

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
Howa do an action with a carbon wrapped barrel, throw on a McMillan carbon stock? Open sights then you're going to need a gunsmith or use a low powered scope. Add in bottom metal with a magazine those fat 6.5 PRC cases don't top feed too easily if you have a scope & rail...

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
I'm retired now but in the 1970's built a 9 oz all carbon benchrest stock for a customer who won sporter class at the nationals with a 308. Recently built a 10 oz for a long time friend who has been shooting possibles with it. As both were all 100% carbon without timber or aluminium they were quite stiff and strong. I considered myself a custom stock maker building to customer requirements rather than just having one type of construction. The point is there must be someone out there that can build a good weight saving stock around 15 to 16 ounces.

My 2 cents which means nothing but I don't quite get this! This is a sheep hunting rifle and as we all know, sheep hunting ain't cheap! Being it the most expensive hunt 'most' take on, forget the ounces and buy a rifle that is 1lb heavier than your desired weight with an optic you know well to give you the best chance at making an ethical shot as you may only get one shot. Cut a lb. on your gear or train a little extra to handle a whopping 1lb more on your back. An example could be to forgo the tent and go with a bivy and tarp like a lot of sheep hunters do. Having been on a dall hunt in Alaska and the rocky mtn bighorn hunts in the unlimited of Montana, there are two things you don't sacrifice on which is a quality and reliable rifle and your food. Cut weight in other areas!

You discredit yourself bringing up "ethical shot".

Why bring up adding a pound of weight when the whole objective is to hunt with a light rifle?

I'm retired now but in the 1970's built a 9 oz all carbon benchrest stock for a customer who won sporter class at the nationals with a 308. Recently built a 10 oz for a long time friend who has been shooting possibles with it. As both were all 100% carbon without timber or aluminium they were quite stiff and strong. I considered myself a custom stock maker building to customer requirements rather than just having one type of construction. The point is there must be someone out there that can build a good weight saving stock around 15 to 16 ounces.

There is:
\
Jack Kiester (540) 867-0488

Yep Weatherby Ti 4.9 lbs scope (6.5 rPM, 280 AI) 78.4 oz
Rings Talley 4oz
Vortex LHT 3-15 19.1 oz

All out 6.35 lbs with a vortex scope

Do a VX3 leupold—and you are probably a bit under 6lbs

Last edited: