Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I have a Kimber mountain ascent in 7 rm. wonderful to carry and very accurate for the first 2 shots. Been talking to my smith that I use about changing the barrel out to a better twist to stabilize the heavies, and more consistent strings. Hard to find a barrel as light as the pencil on it, but I may go to a carbon wrapped and a different stock to keep the same weight. Also going to check to see if we can go to 6.5 prc by opening the bolt face...

I have a Kimber mountain ascent in 7 rm. wonderful to carry and very accurate for the first 2 shots. Been talking to my smith that I use about changing the barrel out to a better twist to stabilize the heavies, and more consistent strings. Hard to find a barrel as light as the pencil on it, but I may go to a carbon wrapped and a different stock to keep the same weight. Also going to check to see if we can go to 6.5 prc by opening the bolt face...

Why they used a 1:12 is a mystery. Mine prefers a 150/165g in 308 (better shooting with the 150). Love the kimber action so I might have mine rebarreled as well. I'd like to shoot subsonic with a 10 twist but meh....

Last edited:
My 2 cents which means nothing but I don't quite get this! This is a sheep hunting rifle and as we all know, sheep hunting ain't cheap! Being it the most expensive hunt 'most' take on, forget the ounces and buy a rifle that is 1lb heavier than your desired weight with an optic you know well to give you the best chance at making an ethical shot as you may only get one shot. Cut a lb. on your gear or train a little extra to handle a whopping 1lb more on your back. An example could be to forgo the tent and go with a bivy and tarp like a lot of sheep hunters do. Having been on a dall hunt in Alaska and the rocky mtn bighorn hunts in the unlimited of Montana, there are two things you don't sacrifice on which is a quality and reliable rifle and your food. Cut weight in other areas!

My "lightweight" build list:
6.5x47L w. 130 Berger OTM @ 2750fps +/- = 700yd deer/sheep/pronghorn rifle

Defiance AnTi Med (R700 SA length) 20.6oz
20" 1:8" Proof Sendero Light 6.5mm 42oz (18" is 3oz lighter)
Manners EH4 @ 24oz
Trigger of choice 4oz
Hawkins BDL w. box/spring/follower 4oz

5lbs 14oz bare rifle

Add scope of choice:
Swaro Z5 2.4-12x50 16.2oz
Hawkins Hyb rings 4oz

7lbs 3oz rifle scoped
Could easily be under 7lbs with a scope change

Add:
TBAC NTB 4oz
TBAC Ultra 5 Gen 2 6oz

7lbs 13oz rifle scoped/suppressed

I think the Weatherby Back Country Ti is under 5lbs in some calibers.
A Swaroski 2.5X10X42 is about 13 oz,probably 4 oz for Tally two piece rings /bases.
Comes to about $4500
Leupold 4,5X14X40 is 16oz I think their 2.5X10X40 is about the same as the Swarovski,some cheaper.
I have an idea Brown or Bannser could build you one that light,but your wallet would be a lot lighter.

How does it perform? What kind of velocities are you finding? I am hunting with a 6.5 PRC right now built on the Deviant Ultra-Light XM with a 26in barrel for a balance of max performance and weight. I built it as a light weight replacement for a 11lb 7mm LRM. It's about 6lb 13oz bare. When my 6.5 barrel dies I might go back to 7mm and the SAUM is one of the possibilities. I am also considering a Sherman 7mm MAX as it will fit nicely in the XM action as well.
I almost did a Sherman max, on my next build I might do that. I love my 30 Sherman Mag.

OK Here's my spin on this light weight sheep rifle... If you're really worried about the weight you'll be carrying on your sheep hunt, go on a diet. Loose 15-20 pounds and run laps... Preferably at high altitudes. Then your can carry anything you want.. It doesn't need to weight 5 pounds and you'll be healthier and feel a lot better...

This guy got a Kimber down to sub 4lbs
Thanks for this one! I have been looking at building a light/short 358 win for my mountain hunts. This one is next on my list for the 308 case family….