Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
The Kimber Adirondack meets your weight needs, 4lbs 13 ounces. I'd get it in 6.5 CM. Sheep are normally shot at closer ranges like 0-400 yards so a 6.5 CM would be way more than enough and you'd get the great inherent accuracy and mild recoil that has made that cartridge so popular. With a scope like a VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER 14.5 ounces, it would put you at 5lbs 11.5 ounces before rings and bases. I'd use the Talley 1-piece rings and bases.

I think for an ultra light rifle for sheep a 6.5 PRC is not necessary. You can kill Eland with a 6.5 PRC, I know, I've done it.

Do you plan on doing a lot of sheep hunting? I've heard tags are hard to draw and where tags are not involved the price to play is pretty high.

The Kimber Adirondack meets your weight needs, 4lbs 13 ounces. I'd get it in 6.5 CM. Sheep are normally shot at closer ranges like 0-400 yards so a 6.5 CM would be way more than enough and you'd get the great inherent accuracy and mild recoil that has made that cartridge so popular. With a scope like a VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER 14.5 ounces, it would put you at 5lbs 11.5 ounces before rings and bases. I'd use the Talley 1-piece rings and bases.

I think for an ultra light rifle for sheep a 6.5 PRC is not necessary. You can kill Eland with a 6.5 PRC, I know, I've done it.

Do you plan on doing a lot of sheep hunting? I've heard tags are hard to draw and where tags are not involved the price to play is pretty high.
I did look at that kimber. I would have likely pulled the trigger if it was in the PRC. Comparing 150 accubond LR velocities I'd just like the little extra umph with the PRC. Thinking with a terminator TI brake it will be manageable. Hunting the unlimiteds where they are spooky and the gusts were strong and unpredictable so I'd really like to minimize drift and have it just a touch flatter.

Interesting on the fire dot illuminated. I was looking at the non illuminated version at 13.3 oz but assumed illuminated would be significantly more. Pleasant surprise of only 1.2 oz more for illumination.. I wouldn't mind finding a used kimber to rechamber to a PRC with a shorter bbl and a few upgrades similar to the article from earlier in this thread.

Don't know if it would interest you. But you might look at Oregunsmithing. I just had a rifle build done by them. It's a 7mm wsm, has a 22 inch barrel plus a brake. Weight of the bare rifle is 5lb 4oz. Haven't weighted it since I got a scope put on it. Also haven't got to shoot the rifle due to some medical issues. But due have another rifle build from them, it's a 300wm and weights 7lb 4oz all scoped up and it shoots quite well. Good luck, both on your search for a light rifle and your hunt.

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?

Easy button...........Kimber 84M in 6.5 CM, it'll be 5 or less. Scope as you wish

When and where is your sheep hunt booked for?

I did look at that kimber. I would have likely pulled the trigger if it was in the PRC. Comparing 150 accubond LR velocities I'd just like the little extra umph with the PRC. Thinking with a terminator TI brake it will be manageable. Hunting the unlimiteds where they are spooky and the gusts were strong and unpredictable so I'd really like to minimize drift and have it just a touch flatter.

Interesting on the fire dot illuminated. I was looking at the non illuminated version at 13.3 oz but assumed illuminated would be significantly more. Pleasant surprise of only 1.2 oz more for illumination.. I wouldn't mind finding a used kimber to rechamber to a PRC with a shorter bbl and a few upgrades similar to the article from earlier in this thread.
Ahhh the ABLR, have ever used an ABLR or tried to develop a load. That's a whole other black hole discussion. Plus it's impossible to determine what velocities you're going to achieve with a short light barrel and any given bullet, but a PRC will still be faster then a CM from say a 22 inch barrel.

A Defiance XM Anti X + a Proof Sporter stock + a 22in Proof Sendero light might put you in that 5lb ish range.

The following major components would be a good start
Defiance Anti-X Short 22.1 ounces
Proof Light Weight Mountain Hunter 20ish ounces
Proof Sendero Light 22in .264 45 ounces

85 ounces, a hair over 5lbs. Once the barrel is threaded, chambered, you'll loose a little more weight.

Man, I might have to build one of these.

Last edited:
Ahhh the ABLR, have ever used an ABLR or tried to develop a load. That's a whole other black hole discussion. Plus it's impossible to determine what velocities you're going to achieve with a short light barrel and any given bullet, but a PRC will still be faster then a CM from say a 22 inch barrel.

A Defiance XM Anti X + a Proof Sporter stock + a 22in Proof Sendero light might put you in that 5lb ish range.

The following major components would be a good start
Defiance Anti-X XM length 22.8 ounces
Proof Light Weight Mountain Hunter 20ish ounces
Proof Sendero Light 22in .264 45 ounces

85 ounces, a hair over 5lbs. Once the barrel is threaded, chambered, you'll loose a little more weight. If you are building a 6.5 PRC I strongly recommend using a medium length action. It will make life much easier.
Not to argue. But we are probably missing some components to make this function correct? Bottom metal. Mag box of some
Type. Trigger. Unfortunately all those add weight and realistically over 1/2lb. So closer to 92oz.

Additionally in my experience and research CF barrel is not the way to save weight in a UL build. Much better with sporter flutted barrel. Obviously cost is larger threading for suppressors. The lightest CF barrel I've found is the featherweight carbon6. I asked a member last week who had a 19" one for sale what the weight was and it was 39oz I believe. You should be able to get a similar length sporter closer to low 30s.

If I am wrong please advise because I'd love to save that weight!

Last edited:
@TX mountain hunter we get calls like this often, here is a rundown of what we give to our customers:

Mesa Altitude Short Action Stock - 24 ounces
Hawkins Oberndorf Bottom Metal - 5.25 Ounces with all the fixens
Defiance Anti-x SA - 22 Ounces
Triggertech Trigger - 2 ounces
#2 16.5 fluted benchmark SS barrel - 37 ish ounces (less after threading/chambering)

Total weight rigged up: 90.25 ounces or 5.64 pounds Figure you might lose a bit after fitting of barrel.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 in a set of talleys keeps you south of that 6.5 pound mark.

Not to argue. But we are probably missing some components to make this function correct? Bottom metal. Mag box of some
Type. Trigger. Unfortunately all those add weight and realistically over 1/2lb. So closer to 92oz.

Additionally in my experience and research CF barrel is not the way to save weight in a UL build. Much better with sporter flutted barrel. Obviously cost is larger threading for suppressors. The lightest CF barrel I've found is the featherweight carbon6. I asked a member last week who had a 19" one for sale what the weight was and it was 39oz I believe. You should be able to get a similar length sporter closer to low 30s.

If I am wrong please advise because I'd love to save that weight!
I picked that barrel because it is light, will perform like a much heavier barrel, and it fits nicely in the off the shelf 20oz Proof stock. But, after looking at Rifle Inc. site they might be a better source as they have a 5lb rifle for $3200 with your action. They will likely chamber for the 6.5 PRC.

I wouldn't mind finding a used kimber to rechamber to a PRC with a shorter bbl and a few upgrades similar to the article from earlier in this thread.
You'd have to rechamber a 8400 WSM Montana, or take a 84L and open up the bolt face. And as small as the Kimber 84L bolt is, I don't know if that's possible.

FWIW I rechambered a 8400 Montana 300WSM to 6.5 PRC with a 24" Rock Creek #2 contour barrel. .575 at the muzzle. It weighs 8 lbs scoped with a 21 oz S&B PMII 10x42.

Bunch of guys keep missing the fact the OP wants a 6.5 PRC not a CM…
A 5lb non- magnum is easy…I have several but jumping to a mag BF….

Also a 18-20" barrel isn't for everyone…..

A Kimber 8400 still won't get you there.