Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

TX mountain hunter

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?

I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
I think you are being unrealistic A 7 pound scoped rifle sounds very light weight to me but good luck with it I hope you get there

This guy got a Kimber down to sub 4lbs

i have a 6 pound 12 ounce 338 rum with a 26" barrel scoped .... so its not unrealistic!!!
Wow what components were used in this build and were could you shed the extra 14 or so ounces I figure the action would be lighter for the prc

my buddies dad has an older Kimber not sure what model but it's like 5.5lbs with scope and 4 rounds.
If I was doing it Borden Ti action in a Hnt26 Chassis which is gonna leave you like 2lbs for a pencil barrel and a magazine.

Wow what components were used in this build and were could you shed the extra 14 or so ounces I figure the action would be lighter for the prc
carbon stock #2 lilja shaved rem SS 700 fluted handle/bolt aluminum shroud etc. and its shoots really.. obviously not a bench rifle ..

ultra lite builds aren't that hard, but they come with their ups and downs .. the main one is the stock.. your going too have to have a slim trim sporter style too cut the weight were it counts ... and another problem is most build it thinking over all rifle weight then add a 24or 28 oz scope!!! when you should be designing it with your perfect scope in mind then build the rifle around the optic .. there are simply not very many scopes that will allow a sub 6 pound rifle scoped .... the optic has too weigh 14 oz or less ... that's were it becomes tricky and get quality.

i have a 308 ultra lite build going now that the parts weigh 5# 12 ounces un machined that's with a carbon barrel.. that's with very little effort in trying too shave weight.. and still have a 600 yard rifle pretty easily

Last edited: