Sheep/Backpack Hunting Boots - Lathrop and Sons

rodneymoncrief

I'm shopping for a new pair of high quality Sheep/Backpacking boots, I've been wearing Kenetrek's for the last few years. I'm getting older and starting to have a few foot issues , plantar fasciitis and bunions, and have been talking to Lathrop and Sons. I ordered a pair of Lowa Hunters from them and they didn't fit quite right. They are wanting me to try their 3D mapping kit to find the right fit for me. I was wondering if anyone on here has used them and if so is it worth the effort/money to go this route to find a good fitting pair of boots?

I have used their mapping service. It was worth every penny. They told me so much about my feet that I didn't know and got me in a pair of lowas the first year that felt great. Then I went with their boots the next year and it was a total game changer. I used to blister fairly easily and with their boots I went on a stone sheep hunt and put 80 miles on my feet during the course of the trip and climbed a minimum of 2000' per day with a 50-60lb pack. Never had a single blister or even a hotspot. I am now several hunts into my Lathrop and Sons Hunter Elite boots and have never had a blister. They are a total game changer. Used their mapping service and you won't be sorry

I have used their mapping service. It was worth every penny. They told me so much about my feet that I didn't know and got me in a pair of lowas the first year that felt great. Then I went with their boots the next year and it was a total game changer. I used to blister fairly easily and with their boots I went on a stone sheep hunt and put 80 miles on my feet during the course of the trip and climbed a minimum of 2000' per day with a 50-60lb pack. Never had a single blister or even a hotspot. I am now several hunts into my Lathrop and Sons Hunter Elite boots and have never had a blister. They are a total game changer. Used their mapping service and you won't be sorry[/Q

Thanks for the reply, I was a little skeptical, I've sent the Lowa Hunters back and they going to send me the 3D mapping kit. Sounds like you've had great luck with their boot system, I hope I get the same results.

My wife and I used their mapping/custom insert service for a pair of Kenetrek EverSteps for me and a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s for my wife. We were not having any "problems" as we broke in the boots, nor do we have any other issues we are aware of normally. I have broken both of my ankles before, so I got the EverSteps just to be proactive/aggressive with support.

We are flatlanders who live in Florida and had never done any sort of backpacking beyond a day trip, so at the recommendation of a friend who sheep hunts every year, we contacted Lathrop and they suggested this custom foot bed, so we did it.

They sent us the mapping kits in the Spring, then after sending back the carbons and doing the consults over the phone, we sent them our boots in early Summer, and after getting them back quickly we continued to train all summer. We went on our 12 day backpack hunting trip in the NWT in Aug-Sep, and hiked who knows how many miles, with loads up to 100#, and neither one of us ever got any hot spots or blisters whatsoever. Could we have not used their service and had the same results? Perhaps....but when you are spending such money on a once in a lifetime experience, I wanted to make sure we were proactive in any way we could be, especially when it comes to our feet. If you cant walk, then it is game over.

I received my Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Warm a couple of months ago. I've hiked in them several times to break them in, so far, they are the best fitting boots I've ever owned, great ankle support and no hot spots. I've had a few hunters tell me they've had trouble in the past with Lathrop and Sons boots not being waterproof while hunting in wet weather, has anyone else had issues with their boots not remaining waterproof?

Crispi boots worked well for me and I have gout. All of my joints in both feet are affected and crispi boots are the only ones that I've found that it's bearable. The pain will never go away but I find myself not having as much sting with each step. My dad also had bones spurs and he swore by crispi boots after he tried a pair even buying one just for working. I hope you find your comfort and overcome your foot issues. Aloha

Did the custom boot mapping 2 months ago and went with there elite hunters. 1 word Awesome ! Going on mtn hunt now and 2 in October.
Have always used schnees granites Ana granite 2 and they are awesome too.

I tried Kennetrek MT Extremes for 1 day and returned them. It felt like I was on stilts and my ankles were constantly twisting on steep, rocky hillsides. Their heels and thick soles aren't meant for the sheep hills! It would also be next to impossible to stalk quietly with such thick soles.

I have a foot neuroma and have found that gutting the insoles that come with boots and replacing them with padded insoles helps. I also wear socks with additional padding in the bottoms. I usually buy boots 1 size larger so I can add thicker insoles and socks. When it's hot I merely tighten the laces and am good to go for thinner socks.

Crispis seem to have a strong following. I've used an abused several pairs of Lowas that have worked great for my particular feet. Lowas usually have narrow to wide widths which often help.

i tried them, had to return the boots, they ripped me off and were jerks on the phone. bad customer service for sure. my friend is a long time podiatrist and he laughed at their stuff, after i told him about it. i wound up with some kenetrek's and kenetrek will do some nice stuff to your boot if you trace your foot or ask for more room. way cheaper too. i hiked across the annapurna circuit in nepal, tracks in new zealand, parts of the haute route in the pyrenees, and of course stuff here in 'merica. no stranger to boots, had a lot of them. not happy with lathrop. i suspect alot of people who say good stuff about them got a deal on boots in return for online pimping

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.